Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine Completed  (Read 4955 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: The Sabino Compound Engine Completed
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2022, 02:42:42 AM »
Looks like you all had a great time! Excellent video. Nice work driving the gas and steam Lombards Chris. That would have been tough enough in summer in the old days - but the steersman on the steam logger in winter - holy cow! froze on the front and broiled on the back!  :o  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2022, 04:12:50 AM »
Looks like you all had a great time! Excellent video. Nice work driving the gas and steam Lombards Chris. That would have been tough enough in summer in the old days - but the steersman on the steam logger in winter - holy cow! froze on the front and broiled on the back!  :o :cheers:
And the steersman was the first to hit the trees if they lost control downhill...  :o

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2022, 07:49:07 AM »
Looks like a fun time was had by all  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :)  :wine1:

I was interested to see that the planning machine was reversed by using the crossed belts rather than the crank mechanism usually used on shapers. I supposed that allows you to have a much longer stroke.
Best regards

Roger

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
Can't wait to see what you make of those BB12 plans Chris, there is a lot to digest on those plans, and that should keep you out of trouble and pre-occupied for a few months!

https://www.thoughtco.com/uss-ohio-bb-12-2361315
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2022, 02:20:29 PM »
Looks like a fun time was had by all  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :) :wine1:

I was interested to see that the planning machine was reversed by using the crossed belts rather than the crank mechanism usually used on shapers. I supposed that allows you to have a much longer stroke.
Its great that they have several guys to run the machine shop there. One of them is in the CAD/CAM industry, and its wild to hear them talking about the latest technology of software and hardware (lasers, all that) while they are running the early shapers and lathe!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2022, 02:25:41 PM »
Can't wait to see what you make of those BB12 plans Chris, there is a lot to digest on those plans, and that should keep you out of trouble and pre-occupied for a few months!

https://www.thoughtco.com/uss-ohio-bb-12-2361315
Great history on the ship!  I've been looking through the plan sheets, and keep finding more details - at first I thought they were missing things like details on the rear upright frames, but details on those are included in other views showing other parts, things like that. I found the sheet that has the barring engine on it, it was mixed in with the barring engines from other ships. Its a small two-cylinder engine that turns two worm gear sets in series to get enough power to turn over the large engine - the two cylinders are only about 3 or 3.5" bore, but the power of gearing works! Other interesting details on the reversing engine, which is a single piston to run the Stephenson links back and forth. The real engine is a real giant. At first guess with back-of-napkin calculations is that the model could be somewhere in the 1:12 to 1:16 scale range, which will allow lots of fine detail but keep it small enough (just) to fit on the lathe and be able to pick the thing up.
 :cheers:

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2022, 03:47:45 PM »
Start a thread on  it Chris when you get a chance.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2022, 03:51:08 PM »

Dave
Will do!  Be a good place to keep notes and such while getting the CAD version started.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2022, 03:52:32 PM »

Dave
Will do!  Be a good place to keep notes and such while getting the CAD version started.

I did the same on the 917 engine.
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2022, 04:16:24 PM »

Dave

I did the same on the 917 engine.
Thread started!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2022, 09:45:23 PM »
WONDERFUL model Chris,  I've not said a lot but followed quietly and enjoyed.   Thank you    :praise2:       Terry

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2022, 10:27:42 PM »
Very well done, Chris. 

Chuck

Offline Rich Carlstedt

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2022, 04:30:09 AM »
   Chris, that is some magnificent work !
Congratulations on your dedication and work.
You mentioned you donated a set of full size drawings to Mystic Seaport, but will you offer your scaled drawings as well ?
When You built the ship model, did you go by the plans they had for sale ? or did you find them else ware ?
Thanks for any comments    Rich   
Hi Rich,
I built the model of the ship from the plans Mystic sells, I don't see the engine plans I sent them for sale on their site. I'll check tonight if the scaled down version files will fit on posts here, or I can email you a copy. Thinking of doing a model of it?    Chris   

Chris that is really nice of you to share your plans. Appreciated very much and will honor your request.... fell in love with the Sabino in the 1990's and then met George King about 1998 and talked engines with him at length. George wanted me to draw up the engine parts they were working on , which I would have except when I got home I discovered some major medical issues  which knocked me down for several years, so i passed on the opportunity--but thank you much Chris !  So it is on the bucket list and yes , love the engine and the ship.
Rich

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2022, 05:31:58 PM »
   Chris, that is some magnificent work !
Congratulations on your dedication and work.
You mentioned you donated a set of full size drawings to Mystic Seaport, but will you offer your scaled drawings as well ?
When You built the ship model, did you go by the plans they had for sale ? or did you find them else ware ?
Thanks for any comments    Rich   
Hi Rich,
I built the model of the ship from the plans Mystic sells, I don't see the engine plans I sent them for sale on their site. I'll check tonight if the scaled down version files will fit on posts here, or I can email you a copy. Thinking of doing a model of it?    Chris   

Chris that is really nice of you to share your plans. Appreciated very much and will honor your request.... fell in love with the Sabino in the 1990's and then met George King about 1998 and talked engines with him at length. George wanted me to draw up the engine parts they were working on , which I would have except when I got home I discovered some major medical issues  which knocked me down for several years, so i passed on the opportunity--but thank you much Chris !  So it is on the bucket list and yes , love the engine and the ship.
Rich
Hi Rich,

If you ever need them I have lots of detail pictures of the original engine.

Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal