Supporting > Engine Ancillaries

Contact Breaker Cams

(1/3) > >>

Roger B:
As the end of a long chain of thought about various ignition problems I wondered if the rate of opening of the contact on a 'conventional' ignition system is important?  :headscratch:  :thinking:

If the contacts open too slowly is more of the spark energy lost in arcing and less goes to the spark plug?  :zap:

I have experienced the opposite problem when there is too much spark energy and parasitic sparks everywhere  :toilet_claw:

Admiral_dk:
Very interesting question and it seems logical that there must be an optimal curve / accelleration curve ....

That said - I believe that you always will want the electric part to happen as quick as possible .... (to avoid too much Arching off the Points).
I agree that this also will create the biggest amount off energy out of the coil (any not too much on the Primay side) .....

If you have problems with sparks jumping where you don't want them .... I would say that You just might be the best qualified here (by far) as it is your field of Work ....
I can think of (on the Seconday Side) - Insulation, Primary Voltage, Winding Ratio and Distance (a problem on a Model).

Per

stevehuckss396:
If you have trouble with spark flying everywhere try reducing the gap at the sparkplug. I have .012 inch gap on my v8 and it runs well and went a long way to getting that spark through the distributor  and where it is supposed to be. Also less stress on the coil and other ignition parts.

Roger B:
I know the cause of my sparks everywhere problem, applying 12V to a 6V coil  :zap:  :toilet_claw:

Jo:
 :facepalm: At least you found it Roger :)

Jo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version