General Category > Chatterbox

Look Mom what I found!!!

(1/2) > >>

Bearcar1:
I have not spent quite some time in the shop, which has become a documented disaster area by my standards  :Mad: , due to lifes obstacles and other outside forces  :hellno: . Anyway, be that as it may, I ventured down the stairs into the scene of the crime and was fiddling around shaping a small spacer block of wood (don't ask) and when I finished, was sitting there taking in the endless stacks of things that had managed to find safe haven on my work benches and assembly table. As I scsnned the room, my eyes fell upon one of the under-cabinet doors which was standing half open. Hmmmmmm. Now I knew that was the space that I was storing all of my casting sets and half started (finished?) engine projects, and so I decided to take a few minutes and just have a look. Now I knew that I had the complete line of PMR scale machines and that is what I was intending to peruse but when I got not halfway through that collection and got into the back rows, I began finding things that I had quite literally forgotten about! Good Lord!! Such things as not one, but TWO sets of the small Coles hit and miss sets, Stuart sets of their James Coombes table engine, their twin V10, a singlr V10, two sets of their Little Gem Dandy sets, as well as their small centrifugal pump, all of which were still in their original boxes!! There was a Reeves set for The Trojan and several other engines in various states of build including an upright marine engine The Otto that I purchaed from Sweden. I did not even get to the back row of boxes as by that time my mind had begun to realize that their was WAY more hours required to bring all of those treasures to life than I could possibly fathom....... SO. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever found this conundrum rear its ugly head in their shops???? I certainly can not be the only knucklehead that ever overreached their limitations.  :facepalm:

BC1
Jim

Jo:
In cross stitch circles the term used for such a collection is "Stash", with an additional term SABLE - Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy. Which is something they all aspire to. I may have achieved this with both my Surus' casting collection and my cross stitch collection  :embarassed:

At the end of the day all such things give you that important thing "pleasure"  :whoohoo: We are happy when we first buy something, there is that lovely feeling of anticipation when you get it out to think about making it, think of all those hours of happiness you will get making it and if you choose not to make it you can give it to someone else or sell it either way you come away feeling happier than before.  :cartwheel: What is there not to like?

Jo

P.s If none of us ever brought more than we were doing at any one time the ME trade would have never managed to build up to what it was  :-\

10KPete:
Oh, you're not alone! I have at least twice the number of kits and projects than I will ever live to make a dent in. That's the rub being passionate about a hobby....
Pete

propforward:

--- Quote from: Bearcar1 on July 11, 2022, 06:17:06 AM --- I certainly can not be the only knucklehead that ever overreached their limitations.  :facepalm:

--- End quote ---

Guilty as charged. Not so much with casting sets, but certainly with plastic scale models, which was a passion of mine. But I've been selling those off and using the funds for tooling and casting sets, so I expect to get there with castings also - or possibly sets of drawings. I think it's OK to have a stash of stuff like that so that when a burning desire to make a certain thing comes along you can just start on it.

I think my Matchless motorcycle restoration is never going to happen, so I should probably sell that on and turn it into a traction engine project, to gaze longingly at.

Michael S.:
Today the Stuart 7 A casting kit arrived, which I bought on ebay. This goes in the closet next to the Stuart pump parts and other casting kits.
But when I retire in 11 years, God willing, then it will start............

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version