Author Topic: Infinity Cube  (Read 6413 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: Infinity Cube
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2022, 03:50:08 PM »
If one had a tube bender and an orbital welder...

Offline EricB

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2022, 05:32:42 AM »
OK now the next step is a bit more complex . :-)   Here is one someone showed me some time ago and the wooden one I did in the woodshop to check it out.  the wood joints are doweled.
   ...Lew...

This would be an interesting puzzle to machine in one piece. I might just give it a try.

Eric

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 11:55:10 PM »
Hi again all. I have been offline for quite a while and now I wish to have a go at the infinity cube in wood with mitered joints. I could draw it all up but I am being lazy and requesting if there are any drawings available. I would be forever grateful.
Bob
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 01:01:08 AM »
Good to see you again Bob!  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 06:59:55 AM »
Thanks cnr6400, I have been away from the workshop for a while but now keen to get on with something other than an engine. So still looking for plans for the the Infinity Cube.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 05:35:14 PM »
I just did a Google search for "Infinity Cube Plans" and came up with a bunch of hits.  Here's one:
https://grabcad.com/library/infinity-cube-infinity-cube-square-hollow-20x20-1

Don't know that it's the best one, but there seemed to be a lot of options out there.

Kim

Offline Alston

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2023, 07:02:20 PM »
OK now the next step is a bit more complex . :-)   Here is one someone showed me some time ago and the wooden one I did in the woodshop to check it out.  the wood joints are doweled.
   ...Lew...
This would be an interesting puzzle to machine in one piece. I might just give it a try.

Eric

I was wondering this but I’m not sure it can be milled from one piece?
It could be done from three pieces though I think. Even bolted together with cap head socket screws it would still be a good conversation piece. I’ll have to give it some thought, a 2 - 3” cube would be good.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:29:11 PM by Alston »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2023, 04:40:34 PM »
OK dug out the pix compressed them and measured the parts.
The stock is 1" square, quantities and lengths; 3 ea 2.5" long, 6 ea 3" long, 3 ea 3.5" long
Good luck Marv be sure to post a pix.
   ...lew...

My den (known to my family as the Den of Antiquity) has very little display space left so I decided to make a miniature trefoil with mitered rather than butt joints.  My stock is 1/4" and the whole structure would fit in a 1.5" cube.

I started out using wood glue because, despite my distaste for the brown stuff, has worked well in the past for me.  But constructing jigs to hold everything in place for the long time it takes for the glue to dry thoroughly so it can be built upon exhausted my patience.  I switched to super glue and just held the pieces until the glue dried.  If anyone wants to attempt one of these, super glue is the way to go.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2023, 04:53:48 PM »
Very cool, Marv!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2023, 06:23:57 PM »
Thats a tiny cube, well done!  It would be an interesting candidate to try out the fancier Japanese style joinery on, like shown partway down the page here:
https://hillbillydaiku.com/2015/04/23/article-series-on-japanese-joinery/

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2023, 06:40:05 PM »
Excellent but they still make my eyes go funny  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2023, 06:49:56 PM »
Excellent but they still make my eyes go funny  ::)

Go look at the drawings  of M C Escher, they will  make  you fall  out of your  chair!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2023, 07:50:24 PM »
Visits to LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) convinced me that modern art is formulaic and thus available to the artistically challenged - a skill lack in which I excel.

To prove my point, I took all the leftover bits and mistakes from my recent trefoil and cube efforts and randomly stuck them together with super glue.  The result, shown below, began to look more and more like stuff I've seen in the museums.

Now to be authentic, it must have a title.  The formula is a ponderous and obscure adjective followed by a noun that sounds sort of familiar but the real meaning of which is known only to a few.  I decided to call mine Coruscated Antiphon, the initials inspired by the Cyano Acrylate super glue used to make it.  It's meaningless but has that "ring" of artistic emotion that sells so well.

Now, if I can only establish a following among the clueless rich...this original, one-of-a-kind early work could be worth tens of thousands of dollars.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 08:33:50 PM »
Now, if I can only establish a following among the clueless rich...this original, one-of-a-kind early work could be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Only if you make it available as an NFT.  :lolb:

(Is that fad still alive?)

Gene

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 08:58:36 PM »
Along with the  cryptic  name it needs a description of  how it expresses something  incomprehensible  about the angst felt by the artist when drinking coffee,  or some other silliness!  And paint half of it bright yellow!   :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal