Author Topic: My newest metal stock supplier  (Read 871 times)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
My newest metal stock supplier
« on: June 29, 2022, 10:27:48 PM »
My metal stock racks have been slowly dwindling for a while now and just recently, I got a wild hair stuck where it doesn't belong. Lately, I have been pouring over the drawing sheets that I had gifted to myself and they called for rather large chunks of material. I began to scour the usual suspects and was almost ready to throw in the towel on the idea of proceeding with the project as the cost for the largest lump of T-6061 aluminum which was to be the projects crankcase, came in at almost $100usd!!! The piece was 5" x 5"x 3 1/2". As I sat there in a state of shock, it was then I ran across a listing for Midwest Steel and Aluminum Supply that was located in Rogers Minnesota. Now the funny thing is, this supplier was located just a mile up the road from a place that I deliver food products to on a regular basis. After several calls to their sales personel, who were all quite friendly, I came away with that huge lump AND two thick pieces for the cylinder heads for a grand total of $88usd. I am one happy camper in that for less than what anyone else offered, I was able procure additional pieces and still have some jingle left over for my other vices.... So, maybe I won't have to take out a second mortgage just to have some fun in the shop again.

Jim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: My newest metal stock supplier
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 10:52:47 PM »
Great find!  I have gotten some stock there recently.

Another place I've been using is Yarde Metals, they are a commercial supplier, by the truckload, but on their website they have DropZone, where they sell offcuts. Usually larger sizes and two to three feet long, but prices are about a third of normal and shipping is reasonable. Probably US only.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 11:20:47 PM »
I know Midwest Steel and Aluminum very well. They are driving distance from where I live and work, so it's great to be able to swing over there and pick up a pickup truck full of material once in a while - or even just a one off piece of bar. Great folks and very helpful.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 01:43:17 AM »
Yes, I am very pleased so far and am now looking at some of the other bits needed for this project (J.Howells V-4 IC) in order to get a better feel for the total materials cost. Next time that I speak with the sales people, I am going to just inquire as to their pricing on copper sheet they show offered.  :embarassed: 

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 06:51:14 AM »
 :DrinkPint: .. this wil be a fun project and I do not think it will break the bank. we shall see.

BC1
Jim
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:04:51 AM by Bearcar1 »

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »
Yes that’s a delightful project - look forward to that!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal