Author Topic: GMES Gala 2nd & 3rd July 2022  (Read 6372 times)

Offline bobh

Re: GMES Gala 2nd & 3rd July 2022
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2022, 08:48:55 PM »
Thanks Jo.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »
Hi Jo, thanks for that little history.

I have on my shelf a Stewart No 1 (I assume from your description) inherited from an uncle who possibly bought the set of machined parts.  It has an “S” cast in the steam chest cover.  It was in the garage cupboard at Grand parents house as long as I can remember, late fifties perhaps, and not young then.

It runs well and I still have the original boiler, with its wrapped copper barrel and ends screwed in with little brass screws.  I have steamed it, many years ago, but not now.  Not as nicely painted as your example!

Your post has helped me understand some of the differences in the various models.

MJM460

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 12:38:10 PM by MJM460 »
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2022, 01:07:00 PM »
I don't think that is a No 1. The flywheel, conrod and eccentric strap/rod look more like they belong on one of the smaller engines. What is the flywheel diameter and stroke?

Looks more like an early No10
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 01:13:59 PM by Jasonb »

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2022, 01:26:51 PM »
One of our larger model engineering shows, NAMES, has been down for 3 years. My son and I attended the Cabin Fever show back in January.  Attendance by both builders and spectators was down from previous years but it was nice to get out and see some old friends since the peak of the Covid epidemic. I know cost is a big factor.  For my son and I to travel, meals and lodging came out to about $450.00 U.S. A lot of the spectators don't realize that I have to pay to put on a show for them.
As the machinist,  mechanical fraternity is aging and new young people are not filling in the ranks I suspect that a lot of the shows will cease to exist. Today the young people are into 3D printing.  For a reasonable cost, $2-4 hundred dollars you can get into the hobby as compared with setting up a reasonable machine shop for thousands not to mention the lack of mechanical arts traing these days.
Thanks Jo for the pictures and history of ST.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2022, 02:01:24 PM »
I totally agree with you George. One of our team Mike Coles is planning to go to the Midlands show later this year and it is going to be expensive for him: paying for the fuel for Travel, paying for the campsite, paying for meals away from home and if that is not enough they will be charging him £11 a day (4 days = £44)  to man the stand with his engines on  :rant: AS a young man in his eighties Mike will be knackered very tired by the end of it  :-[

I see Guildford as a get together of friends and costs me about £10 total which is ok. As for the Midlands show that will cost me £50  :o to go and sit down for a cuppa with friends.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2022, 03:05:32 AM »
Hi Jason, thanks for helping out there.  If is is not obvious to you, it is no wonder I am confused.  The history is more complex than I had imagined.

The flywheel is 3” almost exactly, with 6 spokes, 0.55” wide.

Stroke is 18 mm or 0.71”.  Eccentric strap appears to be machined from a casting based on small un-machined areas.

I don’t mean to hijack the post, but it appeared to go with the history when I asked the question.

Thanks

MJM460

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2022, 07:04:38 AM »
Yes it is an early no 10V:

A Highly desirable little engine  :) They were only around for 9 years before this engine also moved over to have an A frame in 1933.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2022, 07:17:50 AM »
Really it's a vertical No10 it only became a 10V some time after they went for the A frame/trunk guide. Produced for at least 12 years http://stuartturnersteam.com/Vertical/10V/10V.html

They most likely added the V to save confusion between the vertical and horizontal as both were originally just sold as No10s http://stuartturnersteam.com/Horizon/10H/10H.html

Offline john mills

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2022, 09:33:49 AM »
Hi
The early catalog from a local dealer had a picture of stuart turner no 10  with a turned trunk guide    but the 5a with separate castings for each side similar to the no 1  .

it looks like you had a good display its pity not big crowds. 
John

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2022, 01:28:19 PM »
Hi Jason, you wasted most of my afternoon perusing that link - fascinating, thank you.

Thanks, Jo, that one really is an early one.

Based on that and on the information on the site from Jason’s link, mine looks like perhaps nearer 1933 than yours, still not all the 10V features but including some, like the eccentric strap and the steam chest cover and inlet location.  Amazing the little things that are only seen in a quest like this.

Thank you both.

MJM460

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2022, 04:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Mike and Jo.  Wish I could take in a show, maybe one of these days...I've been travelling the world lately, mostly for work.   :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal