Author Topic: Coil Winder  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Coil Winder
« on: June 21, 2022, 08:44:22 PM »
Some 20+ years ago, when I was still at w**k I had occasion to visit a place that made and maintained electrical controllers for grunty DC kit like some overhead cranes and similar stuff akin to a 15"  cube car regulator dynamo version. One department had a lot of large copper coils being packed including some made not out of copper wire but copper tape wound 'edge on' . I often wondered just how it was done.    :headscratch:

One here:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKP7vWhPvU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKP7vWhPvU</a>

Cute eh??

D.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Coil Winder
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 09:58:02 PM »
Ah, so that's how it's done - though to be honest - it's quite a bit bigger than the scale I work in  :Lol:

Per

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: Coil Winder
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 04:31:07 PM »
As a young engineer, I was tasked with visiting suppliers for a heating coil made of tungsten wire (used to superheat the exhaust gas on a small spacecraft thruster).  The alloy of tungsten used was very brittle, and required winding at red heat.  One vendor passed electrical current through the wire, spinning it onto a mandrel on a lathe.  They were struggling to keep the wire from burning out during the winding process (too much current) or snapping (too little current).  The other vendor was more successful, and used two guys, one hand winding the wire on a mandrel, and the other holding an oxy-acetylene torch.  The guy with his hand on the crank could feel the torque and adjust his winding speed as needed to avoid breakage; the torch was set to a highly rich flame to reduce the oxidation of the hot wire.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal