Author Topic: Photo hosting. Who to use?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Photo hosting. Who to use?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »
I have used all of the above. Photobucket till they changed the free policy. Then coppermine/lister, which I found to be a pain in the backside to resize then move one at a time...I now use Postimage which works much like PB easy
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 02:37:00 PM »
The "Direct Link" button doesn't include the image tags. Some forums don't need them, and you can always add them manually - this is fine for a single picture but gets tedious if you're doing half a dozen!

AS
Ah - I had never noticed that the other option already has the tags that the button here on the forum adds, that is quicker!
I just did a little testing, and the Hotlink one does work as is. What would the difference be if they made a change? The result seems the same. I have been pasting their direct link into the popup menu here when I click on the image icon, not adding the tags manually.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 09:47:13 PM »
The "hotlink" one turns the image into a clickable link to the image on the postimages site (hence being enclosed in URL tags). I think this generates click-through "hits" for postimages and increases their advertising revenue. Some forums don't allow these links because they look similar to spammy phishing attacks.

So you can use the direct link and add the IMG tags, or you can use the hotlink version and delete the URL tags (and the postimages address) - either is a pain in the posterior for multiple pictures!

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2022, 09:56:53 PM »
The add image button in the post dialog here on the forum makes it easier, just paste in the direct link from the postimage site and it adds the tags for you.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 11:02:03 PM »
The add image button in the post dialog here on the forum makes it easier, just paste in the direct link from the postimage site and it adds the tags for you.

That's great for single pictures, but less so for multiple pictures.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2022, 11:21:48 PM »
I have now signed up to Postimages and Coppermine. I have already posted some images that I uploaded to Postimages in a different posting on this forum. Now lets try Coppermine.

Edit. Well, that worked OK. The image is of my car showing the wooden body I built, and the design for the replacement fibreglass body I started to build before moving to Cornwall.

This image is the new body under construction. The car was stored in a friends barn here in Cornwall before being moved to my garage. The wheels in the image are from his early London taxi. The taxi was used in the film Ghandi, I believe.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 11:27:42 PM by A7er »

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2022, 08:19:50 AM »
My camera automatically stores all  images in Google photos. But they are not files on my machine. How do I deal with google photos?

Do  I have to download them to my local disk, then load them to Postimages, or whatever site I use? If I do a multiple download they are stored as a .zip, so there is the extra step of unzipping.

Is  there a better way to use my camera than with google photos?

Thanks

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2022, 08:30:09 AM »
I don't know if this is any help. My camera doesn't have a feature for external storage.

https://www.technipages.com/quick-tip-how-to-change-your-photos-storage-location

Lee

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2022, 06:04:31 PM »
My camera automatically stores all  images in Google photos. But they are not files on my machine. How do I deal with google photos?

Do  I have to download them to my local disk, then load them to Postimages, or whatever site I use? If I do a multiple download they are stored as a .zip, so there is the extra step of unzipping.

Is  there a better way to use my camera than with google photos?

Thanks

Ron, I may be able to offer some help.  But I may be a heretic regarding this as I think Google Photos when used with a typical smartphone is an ideal combination that will work for almost all circumstances, including posting pictures here on MEM.  Let me explain a bit more fully.

First, when you take a picture with your smartphone, the picture actually IS on your phone AND it's automatically uploaded to Google Photos, at least if you leave things as defaulted by Google Photos.  If you go into Google Photos > Settings > Backup & Sync, there's a toggle to 'Back up & Sync" to your Google account.  That should be 'on'.  Also under Settings an entry "Free Up Device Storage".  If you go into that entry, and do the 'Free Up' operation, that WILL remove the photos from your phone, but they're still present and protected in Google Photos.   

But let me offer a very straightforward way to post images from Google Photos here on MEM using the minimum effort possible.  I do this generally from my computer rather than my smartphone as I like the much larger screen and I'm also trying to enter a bunch of text explaining the pictures.  So I'm actually posting from Google Photos directly rather than from my smartphone. 

First thing to do for posting here on MEM is to create a Album for whatever content you may wish to post here.  Name it something meaningful to you.  Then move a few pictures to the album.  Next within the album that you want to post content from, in the upper right corner are 3 dots.  Click on them and select 'Options' and then check 'Link Sharing' to turn it on.  That toggle button should turn blue and have a check mark on it. 

Now to actually share a picture, from within that shared album, click on the picture you wish to share which will make it full screen.  Then right click on the picture and select 'copy image address'.  Now go back to the post in MEM that you're working on and at the point that you wish to insert your picture, click on the 'insert image' icon which is the second icon from the left on the 2nd row.  Make sure your cursor is between the [img] [img] text that will appear on your screen and then right click and select 'Paste'.  A long URI will be pasted and that will render your picture which can be viewed when your hit 'Preview' or 'Post' on your reply.

I tend to use this method exclusively now as I'm using the latest Pixel phone as it has a better camera than my Olympus DSLR!! 

Hopefully this is helpful.  If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2022, 03:30:05 PM »
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/rr41/CaptainJerry_Albumlbum/6B418DBF-9998-4458-9173-7DD3BE16EFCB.jpeg[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/size][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/size]This is a link to my photobucket page. How do I get the picture posted?[/color]
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal