Author Topic: Three jaw chuck help  (Read 834 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Three jaw chuck help
« on: June 17, 2022, 03:27:51 AM »
Hi,
I've intended to do this for months years, so since I'm on a role here goes. The lathe at work is very much the same as mine, an Enco 12X36 gear head lathe. It has had this annoying little problem since day one. I will show two photos to demonstrate.

The chuck is attached by cam lock, I sometimes remove it to use the collet. The first photo shows the natural detente. Two of the three work there. This one hangs up and wont pull off unless I line the chuck key with the punch marks. Is there some adjustment to the post so I don't have to fiddle with it every time?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
Re: Three jaw chuck help
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:06:24 PM »
The way to adjust the lock is to move the pin(s) on the back of the chuck in or out as necessary. Loosen the cap screw and rotate the pin that is not adjusted correctly. In the cases I am familiar with the pin can be screwed in or out only in whole turns, but it should be possible to get a good lock. In general the pins should *not* be screwed in as far as they will go.

The square socket that the chuck wrench goes into cannot be adjusted, but if the pin is the correct length the lock will work.

Gene

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 09:52:46 PM »
Gene,
Thanks I had no idea how it worked. I will try  that when I return to work Monday, since there is 8 minutes left in the work day.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Thor

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 07:50:35 AM »
 There are videos on Youtube explaining the Camlock system that may be helpful.
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/St_87dgGaL4[/youtube1]

Thor

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 01:04:23 PM »
Thanks Art for the question.  Good to know that I am not the only one who feels that one of the pins could be better adjusted.  That video Thor posted the link to is quite clear, so now with better information I can get on with it.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 03:47:50 PM »
Hello Art & All,
I've been working with a D1-3 camlock lathe (Harrison M250) for nearly 40 years and have perhaps half a dozen spindle mounted "things", two of which I made my own D1-3 backplates for, and none of the cam locks engage at the same point in the cam rotation.  That's the nature of the beast, despite how carefully you adjust the studs.  Some studs engage immediately at the beginning of the rotation, some in the middle, and some engage so late you think it might rotate through.  Certainly fiddle a bit with the stud to get the best setting, but if it engages at all, and doesn't rotate through, you'll be fine.

As an aside, when I made my back plates I bought ready-made studs (Polish Bison spares IIRC) which were surprisingly cheap at the time, and used a raw disc of cast iron for the plate.  I found a drawing of the D1-3 plate geometry online somewhere and downloaded.  At first I was intimidated by the prospect of machining the internal taper, and to some extent the 3-stud pattern, but with a little Hi-spot blue, and repeated try-n-fits, the taper fit turned out beautifully.
Cheers,
Harry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal