Author Topic: help identifying insert  (Read 586 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
help identifying insert
« on: June 17, 2022, 03:10:30 AM »
Hi,
I have this project at work. I need to make a replacement filler plug, the old one was missing the threaded portion and was glued in place, which promptly fell off when a wrench was applied. The part that makes this difficult is the fact that it is 5/16 Whitworth.

This photo shows the filler plug and the sharp end of the tool.

This photo shows a side image of the insert. It is .550 across the flat to the point and .125 wide, the measurements are in inches.

This is the holder. I purchased it a few years ago at the NAMES show. This shows the only identification on it, there is also nothing on the insert. It is a standard 60 degree insert for fractional threads. What id like to do is get a Whitworth insert. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: help identifying insert
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 03:25:20 AM »
I think it’s a TNMC or a TNMA type insert. I’m not sure if those are available in 55 degree, but I will look. It’s a readily available insert style. Shars etc, usual suppliers. ARWarner make nice HSS versions if that’s of interest.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 03:28:20 AM »
Stuart

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 03:33:59 AM »
Stuart,
Thanks for the help. I will look and see if I can find an individual insert. For the price of a pack of 10 I'd do it with the 60 degree one and let the customer make do. I think if one was available in HSS that would be good as it will be a one off in aluminum.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 03:38:56 AM »
Hope you can find one. I’ve bought individual HSS ones from Warners before. Good luck!
Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal