Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 737 times)

Offline Grampaof4

Hello!
« on: June 16, 2022, 07:15:22 PM »
Hello all,
Just wanted to introduce myself- My name is Len, and as you can probably tell from my user name, I am a proud grandfather to 4 great kids.

Very new to the model engine game. 
In recent years, I have taken quite an interest in the steampunk asthetic.  Up until now, I have enjoyed making mostly lamps, with focus mostly on the visual appeal, and making valves act as electrical switches and such. I am hoping to add more functional/mechanical elements to my hobby, and hoping to learn some things here.

I have had a previous life as a machinist- I'm certainly not the most skilled guy in the world, but I spent around 10 years in the trade (mostly CNC equipment) and can find my way around a machine shop.  A truly skilled machinist or toolmaker might be more likely to refer to me as a machine operator.  I now make my living as a process engineer in an electronics manufacturing environment.  I still get to play on a Bridgeport and lathe from time to time, making some basic assembly tooling.  About a year ago, I acquired an old milling machine at auction for next to nothing. Something to play with and make some items to support my hobby.  Took me a while off and on in my spare time, but I managed to get it into my basement (had to partially disassemble and reassemble it), and got it positioned and wired. 
I managed to find this forum totally by accident-  I was searching the internet for information on my machine, and found a thread about it here.  Looked around a bit, liked what I saw, and here I am.  Looking forward to discussion and learning.

Offline cnr6400

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 07:37:38 PM »
Welcome Len!  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 11:37:29 PM »
Hi Len,
Welcome to the forum!
We're a fairly friendly bunch, I think you'll like it here.  We also love to see pictures of what people are working on.

Welcome,
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 12:18:53 AM »
Welcome to the playground Len!!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 12:23:05 AM »
Len,
Welcome aboard! I've seen some really cool steam punk stuff! Look forward to see what you come up with.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 12:39:04 AM »
Hello Len, and welcome! I'm the proud grandfather of 9 great kids myself.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 06:59:59 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal