Engines > Your Own Design

V-TWIN--MAYBE V4

<< < (2/49) > >>

crueby:
The Mickey-V engine!
You have been having fun on the computer today!

Brian Rupnow:
Yes Chris, it has been a fun day. It is amazing how quickly it comes, when you have ten or twelve years of "Archive files" to steal parts from and tweak them a little bit to fit whatever engine you may be thinking of.  Fifty years ago when I was working on a drafting board, I would never ever have believed what can now be done on a computer. I've got about seven hours in today on this thing, starting from scratch.

Brian Rupnow:
With two cylinders, each of which must be timed more or less independently of each other, the simplest way for me to do this is with two sets of ignition points. That doesn't really trouble me, and I've found that by mounting the ignition cams to the camshafts, I can bolt a 1/4" thick flatbar across the back of the crankcase endplate to support them. My original thoughts on this engine was that I would run it with an open crankcase similar to what RReid done on his engine, but I see now that I can run it with a closed crankshaft with splash lubrication for the con rods.

Brian Rupnow:
I've never had a lot of luck putting tight bends into small tubing without kinking it. So---I'm going to make the intake manifold out of a piece of 1/2" aluminum plate. The carb is my old tried and true Traxxas 4033, same as I've used on my other engines.

Brian Rupnow:
And of course, being an internal combustion engine, it needs a fuel tank. Fuel tanks are generally pretty boring, but I can fancy them up a bit with a real swoopy support bracket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version