Author Topic: V-TWIN--MAYBE V4  (Read 22844 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: V-TWIN--MAYBE V4
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2022, 07:51:40 PM »
YES!!!--Engine is up and running on it's own. Both cylinders are firing, and both carbs are pulling up fuel from a Tee just at the discharge side of the fuel tank. Should have a video up sometime soon.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2022, 08:04:11 PM »
Great News  :whoohoo:

Looking forward to the video  :cheers:

Per

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2022, 08:21:03 PM »
And yes kiddies, we have a runner. Obviously I have some tuning to do, but this is very heartening. I have a strange arrangement of linkages on the carbs, temporarily, but thats because that is the setting where it runs best right now. I will post a better video when I get the final tuning sorted.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A63S3eyvdEA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A63S3eyvdEA</a>

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2022, 10:12:35 PM »
Congratulations, Brian!  This has been a long time in coming  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2022, 10:31:59 PM »
Fantastic!!   :whoohoo:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2022, 11:03:48 PM »
Not long after taking that video I wanted to change the sparkplug on the right bank, as it seemed to be misfiring. I took the old plug out, put new plug in, tightened it just a bit---and the top twisted off the sparkplug leaving the threaded section still screwed into the brass head. Oh Poop!!! Checked my easy outs, and didn't have the right size. On Monday I'll buy the right size Easy out, but to be truthful I've never had much luck with easy-outs. I may have to take the head off and try to get the threaded section of plug out. There is a ton of work in making one of those heads.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2022, 11:51:41 PM »
The lord loves me!!! I modified a nasty old Easy-out that was bent  all out of shape, and the broken off spark-plug end come out easy peasy. I have never liked Easy-outs, and have never had much luck using them, but today it worked like a charm. I didn't even have to take the cylinder head off the engine. I started to silver solder some brass/bronze parts together to make a decent looking spring return bracket for my throttle linkage, and couldn't get enough heat out of my oxy acetylene rig to make the solder flow. My oxy acetylene rig is only about 50 years old, and has served me well, but the regulators are frozen at a low pressure setting, and turning them higher doesn't change the strength nor size of my torch flame. New oxy acetylene rigs seem to cost between $500 to $600 dollars here in Ontario, but you can buy replacement regulator sets for about $75 each, and I need two.---Will talk to my welding suppliers tomorrow about it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #217 on: October 03, 2022, 08:07:16 PM »
Well, that wasn't too horribly painful. New tank of argon for the tig welder, $60, New tank of acetylene--$50, New hoses and fittings for oxy-acetylene rig $45, new acetylene regulator--$125, Hazardous material charge $10 and $35 tax. Grand total of $306.59. I'm back in business again, and I did get the silver solder to flow on that joint I was working on yesterday. Some of that material was 3/16" thick, so it took a lot of heat to get things to flow.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2022, 09:19:55 PM »
And---TA-DA---We have a throttle return spring and bracket added.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7UCiAurSao" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7UCiAurSao</a>

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2022, 11:22:26 AM »
Great news on all accounts  :ThumbsUp:

Those prices you paid for the Weld and Solder Equipment would be cheap her in DK if it was in US$ - but I'm guessing that it was CAN$ - so even better ....

Per

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2022, 12:02:23 PM »
Per-to give you an idea of what things cost here--I bought two Traxxas carburetors from the USA for thirty five dollars each. By the time I paid for them, the difference in our dollars, the shipping and the tax, I paid $130 Canadian. So when I see something for sale in USA I know it will just about cost me double the advertised price to buy it.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #221 on: October 04, 2022, 11:09:48 PM »
And now, it's time to go all scientific. The engine runs, but it doesn't run the way I like it to. The left hand cylinder runs like a champ, the right hand cylinder runs some of the time. Some of the time, it doesn't run. and when it doesn't run, it puts so much drag on the left hand cylinder that it stalls out under the load of carrying the non firing cylinder. Generally I use a degree wheel to set the valve timing, and lay the sparkplug out on the cylinder head so I can manually crank the engine over and watch to see when the spark occurs relative to the piston position. Somehow, that doesn't seem to be working for the right hand cylinder.---So, tomorrow I will once again get my degree wheel out and set the valve timing on the right hand cylinder. (The engine has a camshaft for each cylinder bank). Then I will pull the cylinder head off and put a dial indicator on the piston so I can set the spark timing up to occur exactly when the piston is at top dead center. The right cylinder has good compression, and the engine has "loosened up" considerably from running. I have tried a couple of different sparkplugs in that cylinder, and it makes no difference. Other folks have had better results with this style of engine, so I don't think that the problem has anything to do with the engine design.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2023, 09:47:57 PM »
Just so you know---I have saved all my drawing files for this engine as .pdf files, and they are now for sale for $25 Canadian funds. I sold the first set today and will be happy to see someone else build this beautiful engine. I have been very busy with "other stuff" since Christmas. This engine runs, and if I can get my tired old arse in gear I hope to do some more fine tuning on it. If you are interested in purchasing a complete set of detail drawings and assembly drawings and material specs, contact me at brianrupnow@gmail.com

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #223 on: July 21, 2023, 05:11:59 PM »
This is the v-twin configured  engine that I built last year. I was never totally happy with the way it ran, but ill health and work for money has kept me from spending much time on it. I decided that since this engine was basically two separate engines running on a common crankshaft that I would remove one cylinder, piston, and con rod and tune one engine to run satisfactorily, then set up the other engine. I had made the cylinder heads from brass, which was very pretty, but almost immediately pulled the threads out of the sparkplug holes.--Lesson learned--Make heads from mild steel or aluminum in future!!! You can not buy a 5/16" threaded sparkplug, so this meant that I had to make two sparkplugs of my own with 5/16" threads and re-tap the cylinder heads for the next larger thread, which was 5/16". Today I finally got around this morning to running this engine as a single cylinder, and I am quite pleased with the results. Next step will be to reinstall the cylinder, piston, and con rod for the other half of the engine and get the engine running as a twin.---Brian

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iacMzVEj24g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iacMzVEj24g</a>

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #224 on: July 21, 2023, 06:46:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that you have been poorly - and I hope that your post indicates that you are feeling well again.

It appears to be idling with a steady beat  :ThumbsUp: + you posted this video -> I assume that you are happy with the result so far too   :cheers:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal