Author Topic: V-TWIN--MAYBE V4  (Read 22865 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: V-TWIN--MAYBE V4
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 09:07:17 PM »
Today I finished detail drawings of all the engine parts. There are 35 drawings including the overall general arrangement. I like the dual exposed camshafts.  It is probably a bit more work to do it this way than with a single center camshaft, but I like the "mechanical" look of it. The extra gears aren't as big an issue as you would think. I just cut my stock extra long when I cut the 24 dp. gears and then part off as many as I need. I've done a bit of preliminary pricing of material, but haven't done any machine work.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 02:13:05 PM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 02:16:22 PM »
And a bit more--

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 02:18:34 PM »
And a bit more again--

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 02:20:56 PM »
And one final kick at the can, and that's all folks!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 02:23:27 AM »
I had to break down and machine something today. I've read every book in the local library, downloaded everything that I would like to read on my tablet, and done all the household chores my good wife could think of. I actually caught myself reading a book about Zombies today, and decided "Oh boy--Better go machine something.----Zombies---Oh Lord!!!" So, first parts today---Camshaft supports.  I still have some finessing to do on them, and I won't drill the shaft holes until after the main crankcase and gears are made.--I've been caught out on this one before. Far wiser to let the gears determine where the hole for the shafts will be. I know where they go dimension wise, but anytime there is a possibility of stacked up tolerances, it is better to assemble the gears and center-punch thru the bore to get a true center distance.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 06:21:16 PM »
Today I'm playing with gears. I have a full set of 24DP gear cutters, which seem to fit the size of engines I build very well. I also have a drawer full of random gears that have been recovered from abandoned projects. This little treasure chest of gears yielded two of the 30 tooth gears that I will need. I prepared a 1" diameter piece of  cold rolled steel so that I can cut two 20 tooth gears from it. I only need one, the second will go into my drawer of spare gears. I prepared a piece of 1 3/4" stress proof steel to become two 40 tooth gears. In a perfect world, I would have made the idler gears out of brass, because there is a theory out there that gears of dissimilar metals run quieter. However, since I have the two 30 tooth idler gears already, they are what will be used. Next step will be to set up my rotary table and milling machine to cut teeth on the gears.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2022, 05:48:29 PM »
After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to go with a brass flywheel. I could have used mild steel (which I already had) but decided it was worth $25 just to avoid all the bandsawing and shaping involved in making the piece from a  1" mild steel plate. I do love those radiused inside corners.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2022, 09:13:59 PM »
Today was crank-case day. I started with a piece of 4" diameter solid aluminum. My largest drill is one inch diameter, and the finished hole diameter is 3".--So, you know what I've been doing for a goodly part of the day---boring. and boring, and --boring. All of the inner features are finished now, so next thing will be milling the flats for the cylinders and camshaft supports to bolt to.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2022, 09:41:48 PM »
As Don might say, Dang dude, you are really moving along on this!!   :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 11:17:30 PM »
 A month ago I was so tired of machining things that I wanted to take the summer off and do other interesting things. Come to find out that at 75 years old, there just aren't that many other interesting things to do. I've read until my eyes are sore and I've used up all the good books that I wanted to read. Grandchildren are too grown up or live too far away to go and spend time at the beach. Can't really take a trip because we are terrified of catching Covid.  All my yard work is caught up, and I'm starting to drive my good wife crazy, looking for something to do.  ---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2022, 09:51:18 PM »
Today I managed to crank out a pair of crankcase endplates. The 3/8" sealed ball bearings fit into a recess bored on the inside of each end plate. Lots and lots of other small holes, some tapped, some not.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 08:44:04 PM »
A month ago I was so tired of machining things that I wanted to take the summer off and do other interesting things. Come to find out that at 75 years old, there just aren't that many other interesting things to do.

We all knew you couldn’t stay away long Brian. :ThumbsUp:

I’d opt for the V4, but then it’s easy for me to say because I’m not building it. :embarassed:  I’ll be following along.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2022, 12:11:55 AM »
Sometimes when I am machining parts, I'm making it up as I go along. I should have turned the two inch radius in these engine support brackets with them mounted on my lathes faceplate. However, that would have involved drilling and tapping hold down holes in my parts or my faceplates, so it was machined on my mill. My boring head will just reach a 4" diameter cut, and I already had the 3/4" holes designed more for "pretty" than anything, but at the last minute I drilled them undersize and reamed them to 0.750". That let me gang the two plates together and push in some boring tools with 3/4" shanks. I hogged out most of the material with my bandsaw, so the job went quite well on the mill, even though it required a wacky set-up. As you can see in the pictures, they turned out quite "spiffy". I was away part of the day, attending a graduation ceremony for my oldest (18 years) granddaughter, who surprised us all with graduating from high-school as an "Ontario scholar"--which means with an 80 percent or greater average grade. Way to go Hannah!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »
And now I have a place to mount my two sets of ignition points. I have one ratty old set of points that were damaged in the past. They work very well to just bolt in place and confirm that I have made the drawing correctly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal