Author Topic: V-TWIN--MAYBE V4  (Read 22874 times)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
Re: V-TWIN--MAYBE V4
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2022, 05:43:35 AM »
I'm thinking a hard cotton buff in the Dremel and some jewelers rouge would take out that discoloration out, at least a goodly portion of it anyway... most definitely something a bit more substantial than a Q-tip to apply pressure and generate a bit of heat. That fan looks good.

BC1
Jim

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2022, 01:17:47 PM »
Thanks Bearcar--I will try that today.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2022, 03:30:54 PM »
This morning I made up the flanges which bolt the intake manifold/fan to the cylinder heads. It went well, so I figured a "mock up" shot was called for. Nothing is soldered yet, it's just held up there by the grace of God and tight tolerances. I still have to do some cosmetic work on the fan blade, but it is getting exciting.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2022, 09:11:28 PM »
This afternoon I cut the keyway into the crankshaft and into the starter hub. The flywheel had been keyed back when I first built it. I made a gasket for the inspection hatch in the bottom of the crankcase, filled it with #30 motor oil until oil began running out the overflow pipe, signaling that the crankcase had the correct amount of oil for splash lubrication. A few squirts of oil down the sparkplug holes, and then I drove my engine with an electric motor for one hour. This loosened everything up, and the motor can be easily spun over by hand now. Tomorrow I will solder the intake assembly and flanges together. I have to remake the axles that the hardened rocker arm ends mount on because of some minor clearance issues, and then all that is left are the exhaust tubes and the cams. I leave the cams for last, because they are always the parts I find hardest to make.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2022, 08:55:42 PM »
Today seen the soldering of the intake manifold and the changes made to the small axles that hold the hardened part to the end of the rocker arms. I'm reasonably happy with this, and tomorrow I will make the exhaust pipes. I built an aluminum jig with the same bolt pattern as the two cylinder heads, and did my soldering on the intake out in the main garage away from the engine.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2022, 03:49:21 AM »
Looks good Brian, won't be long now!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »
This is my current exhaust system plan. My cylinder exhaust ports have a 5/16"-18 internal thread.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »
Exhaust Details

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2022, 11:24:41 PM »
I'm very happy with the way this turned out. I especially like that I can adjust the angle of the exhaust pipes to be any place I want it. If I want to remove the exhausts, I can heat the "cap" with my torch to allow me to remove it and access the bolt which holds the exhaust to the cylinder head.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:27:44 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2022, 11:52:54 PM »
REally shaping up well. What parts are left?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2022, 12:12:09 AM »
I think that just about covers everything except the cams which operate the valves and the pushrods. I still lack one bearing for the fan, but it is supposed to be here this week. I may discover the odd thing here or there as I go to finish everything up, but by and large, the heavy duty machining and fabrication is finished. I started this build on the 15th of June, and by the 15th of August the cams should be finished. I have worked on this engine every day since I started building it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2022, 06:53:03 PM »
HELP!!!  I know that there are two main methods of cutting cams for these small i.c. engines. One method uses a vertical milling machine and a printed out set of offsets that will give you the cam profile that you want if followed precisely. I have used that method in the past, but windows 11 seems to not run the charts I originally used. The other method also uses the vertical milling machine and after initial set up there are no charts used in machining the cam. I THINK someone has set up these offset charts for the first method on an excel spreadsheet. I would like to use the first method with the excel spreadsheets, because it lets me cut all four cams at once. Can someone please point me to a post where I can download and use these excel spreadsheets, and perhaps a post where it all gets explained. It has been a long time since I used that method of cutting cams.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2022, 10:53:03 PM »
I did surprisingly little today, and Damn, it felt good!!! I did complete the assembly of the fan, fan shaft, two roller bearings and a bearing spacer. After it was finished I painted the fan and fan pulley with a couple of coats of flat black enamel. It is still quite "fresh" in this picture---it will get flatter as a bit of time passes. I will assemble it with the rest of the intake manifold tomorrow. I did get a response to my request for a post about the cam-calc method of machining cams, and will take a deeper look into it tomorrow.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2022, 05:53:46 PM »
Today, I'm making cams. Unfortunately, I was not able to use the cam-calc tables that people so kindly sent to me. It could be that my software won't run it, but it is also possible that since I have very little knowledge of Excell spreadsheets  I didn't know how to operate it properly. That's okay, my method yields a perfect cam with radiused flanks. There are no mathematical tables to use, but my right arm may fall off from taking the 90 plunge cuts required to do this right. I am going to start another thread on machining the cams, but for now, this is the cam that my method yields.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2022, 08:10:06 PM »
So there we have it. Four little cams with curved flanks, all in a row. And really, I've been about 5 hours getting to this point. They are all made from 01 steel, and will all be flame hardened and quenched.  Before I harden them, I have to drill and tap them for set screws. That 5 hours includes turning  a piece of 3/4" 01 steel down to 0.640" diameter, sawing off four lengths about 1 1/4" long with my bandsaw, squaring the ends of each piece in the lathe, and drilling/reaming each of the four pieces to 5/16" diameter. They're not exactly the same, but they were all done on manual machines.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal