Author Topic: 2x72 Belt Grinder  (Read 8619 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: 2x72 Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2022, 01:12:17 AM »
She's a beast of a metal vapourizer sander Kim! Very nice work.  :cheers:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2022, 01:54:26 AM »
Nice machine!  What's its first item to carve?

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2022, 05:27:38 AM »
Thanks Gary, Dave, CNR, & Chris!

Well, it's already done some work!  Once I got the motor hooked up I started using it to do the metal prep for welding.  It was super fast and much easier than using the angle grinder to do the prep work.

It's first non-belt grinder tasks will probably be related to the Pennsy though! :)

Kim

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2022, 12:20:57 PM »
Nice work and a great machine to use for years to come. Speaking of years...I spent years looking at similar designs, even downloaded and bought some plans. Finally I just bought one. Good on you to just follow through with it.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2022, 05:03:07 PM »
Thanks PJ!

So what kind of belt grinder did you end up getting?

Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2022, 02:20:16 PM »
I somehow completely missed this one  :(  Excellent job and your welding looks good  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:

I see that your earthing clamp has a bunch of copper wire. Is this how it was supplied? I have only seen brass or copper blocks.
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2022, 03:52:20 PM »
Thanks Roger!

I see that your earthing clamp has a bunch of copper wire. Is this how it was supplied? I have only seen brass or copper blocks.

No, it didn't come with the chunk of copper wire. I just read somewhere that this type of ground clamp wasn't the greatest but you could improve the ground contact by clamping it with a wad of copper wire - helps it have multiple points of contact.  I'm (kind of) looking for a better ground clamp to replace it with, but this seems to work fine for me so I'm not looking too hard. :)

Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »
Great job!  :cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2022, 05:12:09 AM »
Thanks Gary!  :cheers:

Kim

Offline JCvdW

• Somerset West, South Africa
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi Kim

Thanks for sharing your build of the belt grinder! It inspired me to build my own. What exceptional plans!

First I had to learn how to stick weld!

All the non rectangular parts were laser cut from the templates that Jer provides with the plans. The aluminium pulleys I turned myself.

Here are some pictures of my grinder, ready to be painted. Very happy with the end result. 1.5HP three phase motor with VFD.

All in preparation to also start on the A3 Switcher...

There is no planet B ...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2023, 11:21:12 PM »
Well done on the grinder, JC!  It is a great machine, isn't it?

And I agree - the plans are quite good.   Well designed machine, for sure!

I've enjoyed mine very much and use it for many things.  It's so easy to use and change about.

Did you make any of the other attachments? Like the little wheel or the big contact wheel ones?  Just curious.  I did, but can't say as I've used them much yet.  I have used the angle table, but mostly use the fixed one.

Kim

Offline JCvdW

• Somerset West, South Africa
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2023, 07:30:35 AM »
Did you make any of the other attachments? Like the little wheel or the big contact wheel ones?  Just curious.
Kim

I made the adjustable angle table, but not the little and big wheel attachments yet. Will have to find a suitable big wheel first. I guess these are mostly used for knife making though.
There is no planet B ...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2023, 06:07:41 PM »
Did you make any of the other attachments? Like the little wheel or the big contact wheel ones?  Just curious.
Kim

I made the adjustable angle table, but not the little and big wheel attachments yet. Will have to find a suitable big wheel first. I guess these are mostly used for knife making though.
Yeah, that seems true.  But I thought, while I'm doing it, why not make the attachment, just in case?  I picked up an inexpensive contact wheel off eBay.  I'm sure it's not the best one ever, but for the few times I use it (which is never, so far) it will be great.  I have used the small wheel attachment a couple of times though.  Seems like it can be useful in some instances.

Great machine though!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal