Author Topic: 2x72 Belt Grinder  (Read 8313 times)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
Re: 2x72 Belt Grinder
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2022, 09:56:12 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2022, 02:11:54 PM »
Well, it's not like I know a lot about sanding belts, but from what I've read, ceramic belts are the best and longest-lasting abrasive for metal work, but also more expensive, of course.  Zirconia belts are the next best followed by aluminum oxide.  Though I think they will all work.  What I've read says the ceramic will last 3x longer than Zirconia, and 10x longer than aluminum oxide.  But I don't have any long-term experience to back this up.  It's just what I've read online (so it must be true, right? :) )

I got a set of six ceramic belts - two 36 grit, two 80 grit, and two 120 grit.  Figured it was a good way to start and I could experiment some.   On my old belt sander (the Ryobi 6" disk, 4" belt combo that this  2x72 is replacing) I always used 80 grit.  It just seemed to be a good compromise. I used that for wood and metal both!  I'll probably do the same with this one :)

You thinking about making one, Chris? :)  It's a fun project!

Kim
It would be a great project, but first I'd have to learn welding (which would be fun in itself). I've got a smaller belt sander and never been really happy with how long the basic oxide belts last, and am looking at better alternatives. Great info - thanks!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2022, 08:54:00 PM »
I have used the blue Norton Zirconia belts for years and have good results with them, like Kim I pretty much use 80 grit for everything.
I have a 2X48 Kalamazoo sander, nothing nearly as fancy as what Kim is building here.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2022, 09:30:43 PM »
Thanks guys!  Just threw in an order for some of the Zirconia style ones to try.    :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 01:04:40 AM »
Kim that is a nice belt sander built.. your welding is great also. Very nice work buddy…. :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2022, 05:37:49 AM »
Thank you, Don!  :cheers:

Always fun to pick up a new skill, isn't it? :)

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 11:02:20 PM »
There are two ways to set up the small wheel attachment in the belt grinder.  The first way is using both idler wheels to get a very tight 180o bend around the small wheel, like so:

The other way is to skip the upper idler wheel.  This setup is easier on the belt but at the cost of the full 180 o usable arc around the small wheel.  I thought it was pretty cool that it had both options!

Here’s a family shot of all the belt grinder items I’ve just made.  From left to right you have the main belt sander with the platen attachment and the fixed table.  Next to it is the small wheel attachment with a set of small wheels for it - 1/2” to 1” in 1/8” increments. Then there's the adjustable angle table. And finally the contact wheel attachment.

The contact wheel can hold a 6”, 8” or 10” wheel.  Currently, I’ve only got the 6” wheel.  If I have an application for other sizes I can purchase them in the future. They seem fairly standard.

That was yesterday’s work.  Well, there was one more thing I did yesterday – I’ve been hearing a whistling sound in my shop lately and I traced it to an air leak in the release valve on the air compressor.  This is my California Air compressor that I got several years ago. It’s been quite good to me over the years and I hoped it would be an easy fix.  When I was at Harbor Freight recently, I saw these little 1/4" NTP air cutoff valves on sale. Only cost about $5.  So I got one and it is the exact right size to fit in my compressor!

This is my compressor flipped over on its back, showing its underbelly.  That’s the original release valve.  I was able to get this out and thread the new one in fairly easily.

It seems to have worked!  It held air pressure all night. I’m quite pleased with this result. No more whistling!

Now, today’s project was to start painting.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get very far.  I got all the pieces separated and masked for painting though:

The reason I didn’t get very far is that I had a roofing contactor stop by to look at an issue with our roof. Turns out that while it does need to be fixed, the issue doesn’t seem to have caused any long-term damage to the roof or rafters.  On the downside, he said that while crawling around in our attic he saw evidence of inadequate ventilation (and I believe him - he showed me and I can see it too).  He took a bunch of pictures and is working on a quote.  I’ve got a couple of other people coming by to give quotes too, but the first one was already here and didn’t catch the attic ventilation issue… :(  So I’ll have that to deal with soon.  Got to love the problems of home ownership, right? :)

Anyway, sorry for the gripe session.  I’ll get over it.

Thanks for stopping by!
Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2022, 12:35:03 PM »
Great to see the grinder in its near-finished state, Kim.

I'm looking forward to seeing what colour you paint it and how it looks when it's done!

Commiserations on the roof issues, but at least you caught it before the roof structure started to deteriorate. And yes, comparative quotes can be a hassle, especially when the goalposts shift in terms of the work quoted for between one tradesman and another...

:popcorn:

gary

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2022, 01:47:13 PM »
Kim,

Regarding your air compressor repair:

I had a bad experience with one of my compressors. (It was not one of the California ones, but I think what follows is relevant.)

Mine came with a typical low-budget "petcock" as a drain valve, as many do. For easier draining I replaced it with some plumbing and a real valve located more conveniently.

The tank later corroded around the pipe connection on the bottom of the tank because my new valve connection was sticking up inside the tank enough that the tank never completely drained. Just 1/8 or 1/4 inch of water still in the tank caused the damage.

Hopefully your new valve connection is below the lowest point in the tank.

--

PS: How did I know. When I became aware of the leak and located it, I made the decision that the tank could not be safely repaired and scrapped the compressor. After I salvaged the motor, pump, etc. I wanted to take the tank to the metal recycler and they required me to cut the tank in half before they would take it. With the tank cut open, I could locate the leak precisely on the inside and see what had happened.

BTW, I tried to buy a new tank: Suitable industrial tank was the only option at over $1000. New compressor was much cheaper.

--ShopShoe

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
Thanks Gary,

I'm looking forward to seeing what colour you paint it and how it looks when it's done!
I'm going with something boring like a nice machine gray.  But I am going with Rust-Oleum Hammered Silver spray paint.  Hopefully that will look good and industrial!  And protect it from rusting!

Commiserations on the roof issues, but at least you caught it before the roof structure started to deteriorate. And yes, comparative quotes can be a hassle, especially when the goalposts shift in terms of the work quoted for between one tradesman and another...
Yes, it's harder to get a meaningful comparison when the work they quote is different.  But I'm inclined away from the first guy since he didn't even bother to look in my attic!  Seems like that is something a roof guy should do, you know?  But we'll see....

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2022, 06:04:37 PM »
The tank later corroded around the pipe connection on the bottom of the tank because my new valve connection was sticking up inside the tank enough that the tank never completely drained. Just 1/8 or 1/4 inch of water still in the tank caused the damage.

Hopefully your new valve connection is below the lowest point in the tank.
Thanks for the warning ShopShoe!

I hadn't even considered that! But looking at the spot for the drain valve (a much better name for it than what I was calling it!) I'm pretty sure I'm OK there.  They have a nice-sized boss in place for the drain valve connection point.  And I'm quite sure that the petcock doesn't screw in any deeper than that. Here's the picture again for reference:

Thank you!
Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2022, 06:22:27 PM »

I'm going with something boring like a nice machine gray.  But I am going with Rust-Oleum Hammered Silver spray paint.  Hopefully that will look good and industrial!  And protect it from rusting!

That sounds good... looking forward to the photos.

Yes, it's harder to get a meaningful comparison when the work they quote is different.  But I'm inclined away from the first guy since he didn't even bother to look in my attic!  Seems like that is something a roof guy should do, you know?

It would seem reasonable to expect it!  :)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2022, 11:08:54 PM »
Yesterday I spray painted all the parts with several coats of Rust-Oleum Hammered Silver spray paint.  All except for the tracking handle – that I painted black (Rust-Oleum Hammered Black spray paint, to be exact :)).   Sorry for the poor picture.  The parts were half in the sun and half in the shade which made a huge contrast that was hard for the camera to cover.

The black thing standing up on the stick in the back is the tracking handle.

Today I removed all the masking and reassembled the unit:

I like the color, though it doesn’t look a LOT different from the pre-painted version.  Still, I like it.

Hard to get a good shot of it because there’s ugly background no matter which way you look in my shop!

So that brings this thread to a close.  It was a fun excursion in building another tool and learning a new skill.  Or at least, starting to learn a new skill.  I still have a long way to go to be a real welder.  But I know enough to be dangerous now! :)

Thanks to everyone who followed along with my 2x72 belt sander/grinder build!
Kim

Offline Baltic

• Mt Doran, Vic Australia
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2022, 11:23:10 PM »
Looks amazing Kim,!!
You should be very pleased with yourself, :cheers:

Gary

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket