Supporting > Tooling & Machines

2x72 Belt Grinder

(1/15) > >>

Kim:
My new side project is building a 2”x27” belt grinder!  Certainly not a tool I need, but then, what tool really is?  :embarassed:  But it IS a tool I’ve always wanted :) ;) :D ;D  I talked about it a while back but never did it then.  I was originally looking at a very basic 2”x48” grinder based on an inexpensive 1/2 HP grinder (like from Harbor Freight).  But the more I looked into other available plans the more features I saw that I wanted.  Features that the simple belt grinder didn’t provide.  Sure, it was probably all the belt grinder I needed, but it isn’t what I wanted.  :embarassed:

I ended up deciding on a much more complicated and beefier 2”x72” grinder based on plans from Jeremy Schmidt. I’ve included a link to the belt grinder plans from Jeremy, and a link to his build video. 

Here's a picture of the belt grinder from his Etsy site (where I purchased the plans):

I started this project in January, purchasing the required steel, motor, controller, and other parts needed.  Then I had a several month delay as I dealt with other issues :)  But now, I’m back on it!

This weekend I started cutting out parts.  This is a picture of a bunch of 3/8” steel parts being cut from a 6” x 3/8” hot rolled steel bar.  His plans provide 1:1 size images of all the pieces so you can just glue them onto the steel and cut them out and shape them.

Alternately, he offers DXF files of the parts so you can have the plasma or water jet cut if you prefer.

And here are a bunch of parts cut mostly to shape.  I still have a lot of filing to do to get the rough edges off, and a bunch of holes to drill.

And there are still a bunch of parts that need to be cut from smaller HRS bar, but those are more rectangular so should go faster.
But I’ve started!

Kim

crueby:
That looks like a great project!  Sands, grinds, launches shop elves...

:popcorn:

cwelkie:
Nice project Kim!  I've been admiring his original design for a few years now and noticed awhile back the updates he has made.  I purchased his drawings but never did make a start on it. Very talented young designer and his drawings are very good value.
Looking forward to watching your version take shape.
Charlie

Baltic:
Great job,
That will be a handy addition to the workshop, very clever use of the bandsaw,

johndilsaver:
I hadn't seen that design, I really like it.  I have a 2 x 72 grinder from a group build that my blacksmithing group did a few years ago. It's much less versatile, but it's still one of the most frequently used tools in my shop. Thanks for posting those links. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version