Author Topic: 2x72 Belt Grinder  (Read 8600 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
2x72 Belt Grinder
« on: May 31, 2022, 01:02:52 AM »
My new side project is building a 2”x27” belt grinder!  Certainly not a tool I need, but then, what tool really is?  :embarassed:  But it IS a tool I’ve always wanted :) ;) :D ;D  I talked about it a while back but never did it then.  I was originally looking at a very basic 2”x48” grinder based on an inexpensive 1/2 HP grinder (like from Harbor Freight).  But the more I looked into other available plans the more features I saw that I wanted.  Features that the simple belt grinder didn’t provide.  Sure, it was probably all the belt grinder I needed, but it isn’t what I wanted.  :embarassed:

I ended up deciding on a much more complicated and beefier 2”x72” grinder based on plans from Jeremy Schmidt. I’ve included a link to the belt grinder plans from Jeremy, and a link to his build video. 

Here's a picture of the belt grinder from his Etsy site (where I purchased the plans):

I started this project in January, purchasing the required steel, motor, controller, and other parts needed.  Then I had a several month delay as I dealt with other issues :)  But now, I’m back on it!

This weekend I started cutting out parts.  This is a picture of a bunch of 3/8” steel parts being cut from a 6” x 3/8” hot rolled steel bar.  His plans provide 1:1 size images of all the pieces so you can just glue them onto the steel and cut them out and shape them.

Alternately, he offers DXF files of the parts so you can have the plasma or water jet cut if you prefer.

And here are a bunch of parts cut mostly to shape.  I still have a lot of filing to do to get the rough edges off, and a bunch of holes to drill.

And there are still a bunch of parts that need to be cut from smaller HRS bar, but those are more rectangular so should go faster.
But I’ve started!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 2x72 Belt Grinder
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 01:31:23 AM »
That looks like a great project!  Sands, grinds, launches shop elves...

:popcorn:

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 01:32:10 AM »
Nice project Kim!  I've been admiring his original design for a few years now and noticed awhile back the updates he has made.  I purchased his drawings but never did make a start on it. Very talented young designer and his drawings are very good value.
Looking forward to watching your version take shape.
Charlie

Offline Baltic

• Mt Doran, Vic Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 05:01:43 AM »
Great job,
That will be a handy addition to the workshop, very clever use of the bandsaw,

Offline johndilsaver

• Sparta, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 12:21:06 PM »
I hadn't seen that design, I really like it.  I have a 2 x 72 grinder from a group build that my blacksmithing group did a few years ago. It's much less versatile, but it's still one of the most frequently used tools in my shop. Thanks for posting those links. 

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 11:44:42 PM »
Wow - this looks great Kim. I foresee a satisfying build for you resulting in a very useful machine.
All the best,
gary.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 11:53:47 PM »
Thanks, everyone!   I really appreciate having you follow along here.  I DO think it’s going to be a fun build and I DO think it will be a great piece of equipment to add to my shop :)

So, in his build video, Jeremy shows doing everything with a drill and a file.  And that had been my plan.  After all, it doesn’t require the accuracy of the engines we make.  It’s all going to be welded together after all (and that’s not the most accurate of fabrication processes).

But after playing around with filing some, I didn’t like that.  I can get a much better, more accurate piece by using the mill.  So that’s what I’m doing.  Jeremy doesn’t use one cause he's trying to make this build accessible to a wider audience. And besides, I don't think he has a mill!.  But I do!  So why limit myself?  Sure, I’m probably taking longer and making parts that are WAY more accurate than are required, but I’m having fun and doing it the way that makes me happy. And that’s what counts, right?

I don’t plan on showing a complete step-by-step of every part like I generally do in my engine builds.  But I do want to show the highlights reel :)

One of the first parts I milled were these hinge pieces.  The only critical part of these is the distance from the bottom flat (in the lower left) and the location of the hole for the hinge rod.  So I double-sticky taped them together, milled the bottom flat and even, then drilled the 1/2” hole.

And I used the rotary table to clean up the curves on the part.  Here I’m shaping the outside curves.  After this, I did the inside curve (no pic).

This is the hinge lock piece.  To make the curved slot I chain drilled and then used a 7/16” end mill to clean up the edges.  Again, Jeremy does this by chain drilling and then filing.  But he doesn’t have a mill. And this will be WAY more accurate anyway, right? :)

Here I’m cleaning up the main grinding reset (fixed rest).  I used the band saw to cut most of that notch out and just cleaned up the edges and bottom in the mill.

Then rounded over the corners on the disk sander.  I’ve had this sander for 20-30 years.  It will be replaced by this belt sander/grinder!  I don’t think I’ll miss it when I have this bad boy done!

For the top of the angled rest, I needed to cut one long edge of a 3/8” plate to a 45o angle.  I couldn’t find any good way to do this setup.  After a lot of work, I came up with this marginal setup.  But when I tried a few light passes it was NOT good.  Too much vibration and it just wasn’t held securely enough to provide any confidence.

So I abandoned that for a few days and did other things.  One morning when laying in bed trying to get back to sleep (when I do a lot of good thinking) I came up with this ingenious and deceptively simple plan (OK, it was simple and obvious, but not to me!).  I just held the plate up and down in the vice and stair-stepped in a 45o slope with a standard end mill.  Then I went back over it with a 45o chamfer mill to take out the little Stairsteps. Took a few passes of the chamfer tool, but it worked quite well and was MUCH more stable.  Like I said – probably obvious to the casual observer but it took me a lot of work to come up with it!

After a bunch more shaping here’s all those rough cut parts cleaned up for the party!

And the party’s being held in a vat of vinegar.  I read about this online too.  Apparently, people say that if you soak your HRS in vinegar for a few days it will eat away all the mill scale.  I’ve tried that with some of the bar stock I’ve cut already and it seems to work – at least to some degree.  I may still have to do some clean-up with a flap disk but hopefully a lot less.

And it sure makes the vinegar an ugly color, doesn’t it?

More small steps toward the belt grinder!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 12:22:07 AM »
Interesting build, and neat trick with the mill scale, have to remember that one!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 12:23:31 AM »
That is going to be a nice tool Kim!
Following along with interest.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 11:09:11 PM »
Thanks, Dave!

I’ve been beavering away over the last week, shaping parts to be used in this belt grinder project.  There are a lot of parts to be made and I’m doing them upfront so that they are ready to go when I start assembling the thing.

I did do one thing differently than Jeremy shows.  One of the first steps is to make some square tube receivers for 1.5” square steel.  These are used to hold the platen attachment (and others) and the tool rest. He builds these tubes out of some 2” and 1.5” steel, overlapping the 2” over the 1.5” by 0.25” on each side and then welding them together.  One of the problems with this is if the steel warps much during welding it can make the sliding tube no longer slide. Which isn’t good.  Someone else posted a comment to Jeremy’s build video that they used 2” steel for all four sides of the tube and just used a mill to take a ~0.235” rabbit out of two sides of some of the 2” steel.  This way the tube could be clamped and held at a uniform thickness all along and it couldn’t warp during welding.  Since I had a mill, I decided to do this too.  And I think I’m glad I did.

Anyway, so here I am milling the rabbit in one piece of the 2x3/8” steel.  I don’t normally take action shots, but this took so long to feed all the way across that I felt comfortable doing the action shot.  Seemed to work OK, I guess.  I used a 3/8” roughing mill to chew out the rabbit.  I wasn’t too worried about the finish here :)

Here are the four parts that will make one of the receiver tubes.  You can see that two of them have the 0.235” rabbits taken out on both sides.

And here’s what it looks like all clamped up.

See – the 1.5” square bar slides through it just fine!

In addition to shaping the parts, there were 10 holes that needed to be tapped.  Six of the 3/8” – 16 and four of them 5/16” – 18.

And here are nearly all the steel parts that will go into making the 2”x72” belt grinder plus the additional attachments I’m making (tilting table, small wheel attachment, and contact wheel attachment).  The parts missing in this pic are the 1.5” square posts.  I left the 1.5” square steel bar in one piece because I’ll be using it as a mandrel when I weld up the receiver tubes.

And here are all the purchased parts that will be used in this build.

Actually, it’s missing the large contact wheel and one idler wheel for the small wheel attachment.  I haven’t purchased those yet.  But I will.  Oh – and I’ll need some electrical cord to plug the thing in.  I’m planning to cannibalize an extension cord for this.

And I actually won’t need that many of the handles – they just came in sets of two, so there are a few extras there.

The motor is a 2HP 240V motor and I got the VFD to control it so I get variable speed.  I decided if I was going to go to the trouble to do it, I was going to go high-end!

With all the parts in hand (mostly), I can actually get down to business and weld something up!  So I setup the longer receiver tube on my 1.5” mandrel, clamped it, and tack welded it together.

And then after sliding it out, I did a stitch weld on all four corners.  Jeremy provides some nice instruction in his video on how to do this to minimize warping.  He provides this guidance all the way through on this, which is very helpful to a welding noob like me.

And here’s a shot of both of the main receiver tubes welded up:

And that brings us up to date on where I’m at with this project!

Thanks for looking in on me!
Kim

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 12:32:06 AM »
Coming along very nicely Kim!  You are going "top shelf" and "all in" aren't you?!
Glad you used the mill - a much more satisfying process.  Besides - if you've got it use it.
That was a good suggestion regarding the fabricated tubes too.
I'm envious ...
Charlie

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 12:53:51 AM »
Wow, thats a LOT of parts!
 :popcornsmall:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 01:37:23 AM »
Just found this and wow you been busy bud. That’s a whole lot of sander and a great project Kim. I would say your off to a good start… :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 05:31:56 AM »
Thanks Charlie, Chris, and Don!
I am having a great time with this project.  It's a little different than what I've been doing and I'm having a ball!   ;D

Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 08:38:27 AM »
Wow this is coming together quickly, well done Kim.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal