Author Topic: The number 173.  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
Re: The number 173.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 08:17:43 PM »
Hi, everyone,
the regulator is still missing on the steam engine. I got myself a cast of an original part. Unfortunately, it was cast zinc and broke very quickly. I made a new cast part from brass parts by soldering them with silver solder. It ended up looking better than the broken part.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2022, 08:19:44 PM »
That came out terrific!!   :praise2:

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2022, 09:00:34 PM »
Since there are always oil stains on the tablecloth at model steam engine exhibitions, I wanted to attach an oil separator to the exhaust pipe. An example of this can be found in old books about steam engines. There was a picture for an exhaust steam oil separator for exhaust steam engines.
I installed a metal strainer inside the pot, which drains the oil. That worked well. However, only tested in operation with compressed air.

Michael

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2022, 10:38:02 PM »
Hi, everyone,
the regulator is still missing on the steam engine. I got myself a cast of an original part. Unfortunately, it was cast zinc and broke very quickly. I made a new cast part from brass parts by soldering them with silver solder. It ended up looking better than the broken part.

Michael

I'll say!  That part looks beautiful!  WAY better than the casting you had!

And the oil separator looks fantastic too!  You do excellent work, Michael!  :praise2:

Kim

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 07:17:25 PM »
Hi,

and thank you for your compliments.
The machine is now ready. With steam pipe, valves and also the condensate separator in the supply steam line.

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 07:20:46 PM »
a video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEcXgPjWhuY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEcXgPjWhuY</a>

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 09:32:46 PM »
A great runner and it looks amazing - you should be proud  :praise2:     :cheers:

Per

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 01:18:19 AM »
Michael.......it is good to see the substantial width of the brass eccentric band over the steel eccentric it self [for the water pump on the axis of the crankshaft]

Pumps on many engines when built to scale have eccentric bands of a width that does not support the same dimensional relationship between diameters

The result of this is the band tends to float or rock off axis when taking up the line of least resistance between the clearances the two parts

Derek   
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 05:28:04 PM »
Hello Derek,
since I got a bit lazy with the restoration at the end, the brass eccentric ring is not divided. I was thinking of making the ring a little wider as an eccentric for a control valve.
The ring is pushed onto one side and screwed to a cover.

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal