Author Topic: The number 173.  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
The number 173.
« on: May 26, 2022, 09:19:30 AM »
Hello,

I would like to tell you about a model steam engine that I restored two years ago. When I bought it, it wasn't finished yet. The first builder may have started building the model between 1920-1930. It is a model from the 1925 Wilhelm Bischoff catalog from Dresden - Germany. It is called number 173 with a 30 mm bore and 50 mm stroke. There are still some parts missing and there are also some bugs on the machine.
I disassembled it and we're good to go.

Michael

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: The number 173.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »
The old part you got here looks to be good shape for their age  :ThumbsUp:
So I guess that it is mostly a question of making the missing bits + testing that the Old parts are made to the correct measurements ...?

Will follow this with interest  :cheers:

Per

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 11:49:36 AM »
Since all parts were individual, the base was measured and a wooden model was built. A friend from university made a cast in aluminum.
I would like to rebuild the model again later.

Michael

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 11:50:10 AM »
Nice little engine   :)

A quick translation to save others the time:

30mm bore, 50mm throw. Made from the parts of set 205 on page 29, Equipped with bronze bearing shells, regulator, throttle valve, feed pump, large hollow cast foundation and 2 condensate bowls, as well as oilers, in a varnished and nickel-plated design, output approx 1/15 HP

Actually it not that little  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 12:04:50 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 11:55:03 AM »
yes Per, the controller, eccentric and control valve, water pump and a few other useful things are missing.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 11:58:11 AM »
hello Jo, thanks for the translation. I didn't even think about that when I chose the picture.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 05:48:43 PM »
The main flaw on the model was the crooked cylinder on the frame. The builder himself had problems with it. He tried twice!
I changed the holes from M 5 to M 6 and sealed them with bolts and glue. Then smoothed in the lathe.
That worked quite well.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 06:22:02 PM »
You are doing some really good work there - that is a fine model and once you have corrected it and made the missing parts I think it is going to be a super engine. Very nice save on the cylinder!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 10:00:55 PM »
Now the new holes should come to the right place. I used the front cover of the cylinder as a template. It is held in position with short screws on the frame. The cylinder is clamped to the lid with Teflon tape and can be aligned and marked with the right angle.
Now the cylinder with cover can be carefully removed. The holes are marked with additional clamps. Then you can drill and tap the thread. This is not the super accurate method, but it worked quite well.

Michael

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 08:15:55 AM »
these beautiful castings needed indeed this expert work of restoration...
30 mm and 50mm stroke, that is pretty large for a model !
An odd point is that I don't see any steam port or passage in the extremities of the cylinder, are they cast in and open deeper into the cylinder ?

an opening in the middle of the cylinder is visible...an oiler or some sort of uniflow port ?

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 09:21:18 AM »
Hello Zephyrin,
the cylinder has the steam passages in the casting. There are holes for condensate valves on the bottom left and right of the cylinder. Even in the middle was a hole. But I locked it. In the top center is a hole for an oil connection. There's an oil jar on there.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »
The valve chest cover is finished and now has a lid. That was missing. The cylinder is covered with sheet brass. The piston was a very good fit and I didn't need to do anything to it.

Greetings Michael

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 09:22:40 PM »
Nice progress - do you plan to paint it later ?

Per

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 09:54:32 PM »
Hello Per, yes the castings were all painted. (it's been a year since it was built)
There is two coats of primer and then two coats of paint. Bischoff's steam engines were always chocolate brown. With decorative stripes.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 06:31:41 PM »
I painted the machine as I once saw it on a finished original machine. I need more practice for the decorative strips. The black stripe was made by taping and the orange line free hand. A little detention made painting the tiles. An aluminum plate was scratched and then painted. The control valve is made and a new eccentric ring.

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal