Author Topic: High Pressure Steam Table Engine  (Read 25775 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: High Pressure Steam Table Engine
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2022, 03:39:58 PM »
A real adventure to do that exhaust passage! That must have been an interesting bit of coring on the mould for a full size engine like that. Does look more interesting than a big pipe wrapped around the side though.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
Others are following, just not sure I should comment :-X

Funny enough the question of cores for a cylinder like this came up on my Unreal thread elsewhere, it's a fairly simple sand ring supported at one end by a core print that is an extension of the central port and at the opposite side but a print that forms the hole in the exhaust pipe stub.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2022, 04:12:11 PM »
Neat, thanks for the diagram!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2022, 04:17:40 PM »
Thank you Chris  :)

While looking at the top cover I have just found another drawing FEATURE  :ShakeHead:  The drawing shows a double step under the cover, if you do it to this drawing you will find that the steam passages on the outside will break though beyond the 35mm surface and "vent" to fresh air  :toilet_claw: The easy answer is it needs the Cylinder register to be 1.6mm long rather than the 0.8mm shown on the drawing and to ignore the 35mm diameter.

I know why it was drawn this way: The original etching shows a gap round the underside of the cover and you can see the studs. But on that one the steam ports enter the cylinder further down. We have to drill the long holes  :paranoia: down from the top and the distance means it will have to go in vertically as shown. I could possibly plug them and then go in with a tee slot cutter  :thinking: Na, much easier I'll add a slightly wider diameter boss at 42mm but keep the main register that little bit longer. Which will mean it still looks like the engraving  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2022, 08:49:30 PM »
If the castings you are using, plus the ones you just acquired are original Clarkson castings, they must have been rotten patternmakers and founders! Not too good as draughtsmen either. I hope Blackgates have sorted things out for their.current production.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2022, 08:52:07 PM »
I'm following too Jo, enjoying every bit, but relieved to be working on something else at present. :thinking:         Excellent standard as usual :praise2:         Terry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »
Thank you Terry, I hope this helps (You might want to delay drilling the three holes to screw on the two side frame until later than I have  ::) )

Hi Richard: Clarkson went out of business years ago and it took Blackgates decades to finally be able to acquire the rights to the designs and be able to sell their castings. The guys at Blackgates had garage loads of stuff to sort out last I spoke to them about the Clarksons stuff.

I was pleased to see that they had made this set of castings available again at such a very reasonable price. There is nothing I would particularly complain to them about this design but I will document any 'features' I find as I go here on the forum so others can find them. I am sure once this one is done they will point perspective builders here so they can understand the opportunities and pit falls  :facepalm2:

A friend is making one of the Clarkson inverted engines and that has lots of interesting features to keep him entertained   :naughty:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »
The Draughtsman also produced a revised drawing that does away with that "gap" so they are not all bad just depends which you decide to work from and there may even be more revisions now.

Jo you could always make that 1 1/8" feature "lolly pop" shaped with a bit out the side to cover the passage

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2022, 07:50:13 AM »
Yes you are right Jason the TRACER when they updated the drawing changed the underside of the cover. It is a shame they failed to follow standard drawing office practice and to mark up the drawing to provide the revision and details of what had changed.  :disappointed:

Jo you could always make that 1 1/8" feature "lolly pop" shaped with a bit out the side to cover the passage

You do like to make a simple job difficult   :stickpoke: Can't say I have ever seen a full sized one doing that.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2022, 08:17:11 AM »
But full size CAST the passages so you are unlikely to see it 8). Your cylinder is DRILLED & MILLED so has to be worked around. It's only a bit of rotary table work.

Difficulty to me is working with these drawings and sorting things as they crop up, with the number of "features" it would be less complicated to redraw in CAD based on measuring the actual castings and sort then there

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »
But full size CAST the passages so you are unlikely to see it 8). Your cylinder is DRILLED & MILLED so has to be worked around. It's only a bit of rotary table work.

Can't see the point of milling a fancy boss under the cover when you can just turn the boss round on the lathe, to fit it into the round cylinder bore :headscratch: No one is going to see the underside of the cover and a round boss will work just as well in a hole with a cut out for the steam to go through. You seem to be making things more difficult than necessary maybe it is to justify having a CNC milling machine  :noidea: . If you really wanted to make the port come out a little bit down the cylinder you could add an additional plate on the casting but I am not going to do that either   :hellno:

Some of us are retired so we don't have as much spare time as you workers  :disappointed: I used to get so much more model engine redrawing time when I went to w**k    :old:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2022, 01:07:31 PM »
You still have the round boss to locate the cover in the bore and keep things concentric. The one in my drawing is the second larger dia one and maintains the gap to fully expose the studs.

A 1 1/8" round one won't fully seal the port. If you try and close the port off with an enlarged diameter completely round boss then you cover up the studs, minimum dia would be to the green line

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2022, 07:31:44 PM »
Thank you Terry, I hope this helps (You might want to delay drilling the three holes to screw on the two side frame until later than I have  ::)

Jo
           Jo,  I  shall be delaying lots while you make progress and I watch and learn ;D            Terry

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2022, 05:48:21 PM »
I'm still following along and trying to understand the exhaust passage stuff  :)  :) :ThumbsUp:  ::)  :wine1:

I can deal with simple mushroom valves, two stroke ports are complicated, steam valse and valve gear  :paranoia:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2022, 07:00:25 PM »
Hi Roger, it is not as difficult as Jason is trying to make it out to be   :stickpoke:

Think normal slide valve: Three ports, middle one is for the exhaust. The exhaust normally just comes out as a flange fitting at 90 degrees to the port face.  :)

We can't stick the flange out at 90 degrees on this engine as there will be two side rods waggling about and the two side frames all in the way. The answer is to pipe the exhaust round the back and put the exhaust flange fitting on there. The channel I just cut with the cover provides the 'pipe', or exhaust way,  I still need to add the flange to that cover ;)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal