Author Topic: Halls Rotary Engine  (Read 27959 times)

Offline Charles Lamont

Re: Halls Rotary Engine
« Reply #270 on: December 28, 2023, 11:14:16 PM »
Or could you make the piston/rotor shorter to match the valve, and fit some washers to the covers to make up the gaps?

Offline redhouseluv

« Reply #271 on: December 29, 2023, 07:49:02 PM »
I did think about that, but was uncertain as the cylinder covers project into the piston recesses and provide support.

I made a start today and am waiting for the Loctite to cure before chopping the pins to and machining to size

Offline redhouseluv

« Reply #272 on: December 31, 2023, 02:02:25 PM »
Slide valve extension is now complete, time to mill the slot to the same width and start some hole filling!

Offline redhouseluv

« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2023, 05:00:06 PM »
Finished milling and the slide valve now fits into the slot and the gap has all but gone.......phew! (pic 1). I have extended the centre of the slide valve cover using Mr JB Weld and now waiting for everything to cure before final filing and another assembly.......... I think I'll leave that until 2024 ;D

Offline redhouseluv

« Reply #274 on: January 02, 2024, 07:51:36 PM »
So frustrating, even after all these mods still no joy and still there's air escaping through the exhaust port and resistance to rotation when air pressure is applied :'(

I think both myself and this engine have entered The Last Chance Saloon and there are 2 final possibilies before I admit defeat.

1. The seal between the piston/rotor and cylinder wall is not good - corrected by increasing the spring tension
2. There is a gap between the piston ends and the cylinder covers - corrected by reducing the inner thickness of the outer section of the cylinder covers. This will push the covers towards the piston, but in turn may require some reduction of the inner spigot by a similar amount  :wallbang:

Offline redhouseluv

« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2024, 11:37:51 AM »
I had to call it day on the engine and sadly I couldn't get it to run; I think I'm more frustrated by the fact I cannot understand why it won't run. I'm going to put this one down to experience and with the help and thanks to those on the forum I have learned:

- To use a slitting saw without destroying my mill, tooling and work ;D
- Gun metal is very soft and is easily deformed
- Lathe/mill speeds for different metals and diameters
- How to solder wtihout melting everything; still more experience required!

I now have a forced break as my workshop will be torn down in 2 weeks time for some building work at home. Fingers crossed in 4 - 5 months I should be back in action. I have a Stuart centrifugal pump and a Stuart compressor/vacuum pump to recondition and paint in the meantime.

Please see pictures and a video below..........

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmmyTMfKTQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmmyTMfKTQ</a>

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 10:10:47 PM by redhouseluv »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2024, 03:54:44 PM »
Looks very nice though, did I mention I like red?

Maybe one to revisit some time in the future.

Offline samc88

« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2024, 04:49:25 PM »
Shame about your issues trying to get it to run, looks like a really nice engine though

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2024, 07:24:16 PM »
You did a beautiful finishing job on the engine!  Looks really nice.

Sorry that you haven't been able to get it to run.  That is very frustrating I'm sure.  As Jason said, might be one you could come back to after a time and give it another try after letting it age a bit. :)

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2024, 06:45:37 PM »
I totally agree with the others here - great looking Engine  :ThumbsUp:

And put it on the shelf for some (unknown) time - and have a go at it when you feel inspired to do so.

Per        :cheers:

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2024, 06:50:38 PM »
Well...rats.  As others said, can't fault the looks.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline redhouseluv

« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2024, 08:27:30 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words and I will make a return to this engine at some point in the future; I made notes to my future self in my build log book which identifies areas which could be the issue; important as I will never remember where I left off!  :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal