Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine  (Read 75818 times)

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
Re: The Sabino Compound Engine
« Reply #1050 on: July 18, 2022, 08:37:56 PM »
Chris, it is precisely these small parts such as the angles and T-pieces that make the model a highlight. The many lines and valves complete the overall picture. Looks like the engine room.
It was interesting to accompany you during construction.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1051 on: July 19, 2022, 11:01:44 PM »
There is a new post over in the Showcase section of this forum with the completed engine photos and video. Thanks to all for following along!
Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1052 on: July 22, 2022, 08:32:42 PM »
 :'(    :Mad:     :cussing:     :'(
Saw this in the Mystic Seaport magazine - they are going ahead with making the Sabino into a Diesel Prius:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1053 on: July 23, 2022, 12:13:12 AM »
It's disgraceful that they will be permitted to desecrate and rip up a historic artefact in order to keep giving boat rides. In my opinion it would be far better to place the ship fully intact in dry dock, if operations under steam aren't legally possible. Ridiculous that they would not accept stationary steam engineers, like generating station and industrial powerhouse staff, to run and maintain the steam plant, with some marine ops training. For brief runs in calm seas, fully qualified marine steam engineers are really overkill in my opinion for this ship. This decision has all the hallmarks of bureaucracy and misguided curatorship - and zero common sense.  :cussing:  :censored:  :cussing:

PS it should be a condition that all decision makers for this clust@%$%^&*()%$# should have to serve 20 hrs a year on watch inside one of the "soundproof" enclosures for the diesels.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1054 on: July 23, 2022, 01:22:01 AM »
Like any soundproofing would be effective against the vibration, in an enclosed wooden hull that is like a big guitar soundbox, let alone the higher frequency vibrations into a century old wood hull. If thats how it was when I first rode on board as a kid, I doubt I'd be building steam engines now

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1055 on: July 27, 2022, 02:56:55 PM »
Geting ready for trips up to the logging museum and to the antique marine engine show at Mystic Seaport over the next few weeks, where I'm going to be taking the Sabino engine. That needs a way to safely transport the model, so some spare plywood chunks got made into a carry box that can be belted in on a car seat:

Inside there are two blocks that hook over the model base and also support the outer edge of the hull section against rocking back and forth. One of the blocks is fastened in, the other has a screw handle that holds it down but is removeable to put the model in and out:

Should make for safe transport...

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #1056 on: July 27, 2022, 05:03:08 PM »
So....  I take it you are NOT going to remain true to the original, and add a chain drive and electric motor to your model?  But rather remain true to the original's spirit?

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1057 on: July 27, 2022, 05:35:47 PM »
Very nice transport box, Chris!

How heavy is your model Sabino engine?

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1058 on: July 27, 2022, 06:35:32 PM »
So....  I take it you are NOT going to remain true to the original, and add a chain drive and electric motor to your model?  But rather remain true to the original's spirit?

Don
Oh heck no!! No diesel-electric nonsense for this model!   (nothing against diesels, just in this case)  It will be still making the traditional chuff chuff sounds.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1059 on: July 27, 2022, 06:36:48 PM »

Kim
Just weighed it - the engine on its base is 19 pounds. Without the box I'm sure the pipework and other small bits would get banged around in the car, so well worth the time to make the box.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1060 on: July 27, 2022, 11:39:25 PM »

Kim
Just weighed it - the engine on its base is 19 pounds. Without the box I'm sure the pipework and other small bits would get banged around in the car, so well worth the time to make the box.

That's a substantial engine!  Though, not nearly as heavy as the pumping station you recently completed, I'm sure!  ;D

Kim

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #1061 on: July 27, 2022, 11:47:02 PM »
It's just a fact of life that the availability of training Steam Engineers  :old: to a Certified level is ever diminishing  :shrug:

So rather than rip the stream engine out, sent it to a Museum and hook it up to an elective drive, think laterally

One could only hope that the Management Project Team maintain their plan to the end and include the retention of the viewable Steam engine, and with some smart engineering have the steam engine rotating when the vessel is underway

Derek
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 11:51:31 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1062 on: July 28, 2022, 12:07:41 AM »

Kim

That's a substantial engine!  Though, not nearly as heavy as the pumping station you recently completed, I'm sure!  ;D

Kim
Oh no, that big pumping engine was around 100 pounds!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1063 on: July 28, 2022, 12:11:27 AM »
It's just a fact of life that the availability of training Steam Engineers  :old: to a Certified level is ever diminishing  :shrug:

So rather than rip the stream engine out, sent it to a Museum and hook it up to an elective drive, think laterally

One could only hope that the Management Project Team maintain their plan to the end and include the retention of the viewable Steam engine, and with some smart engineering have the steam engine rotating when the vessel is underway

Derek
It sounds like the steam engine will be rotating - they talk about adding the chain drive from the diesel onto the shaft behind the engine. The thrust bearing on the engine is important to keeping the shaft in place, there is no thrust bearing on the inside of the sternpost and without the one on the steam engine, in reverse the propeller would leave through the rudder! Hope they remember to open vent valves each time to keep from having suction issues and making the boiler collapse!  :slap:   They DO mention keeping the ability to use the boiler/steam engine for special cruises. The boiler is practically brand new, it was just made a couple years ago in a major refit of the ship.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #1064 on: July 28, 2022, 02:43:23 AM »
Just got caught up on this fantastic  :praise2: build.  Just awesome Chris.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal