Author Topic: Worthington pump engine question  (Read 3748 times)

Offline john mills

Re: Worthington pump engine question
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »
i had a look today.
looking at the vessel on the inlet before the steam valve the steam pipe comes in at the top down in the centre and the steam valve is
connected  at the side near the top  there is a good sized water drain at the bottom .in operating instructions it is referred to as the separator
that's whats on the bellis and morcomb engine that i see and run.orther engines i see have similar vessels on the steam line at the engine.
i would guess that worthington engine is similar  not wonting water  to get in the engine.just mounted above the engine they would bee in the way if matainance was required  and if it was a crane it would have to be removed first.
John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 02:03:59 PM »
i had a look today.
looking at the vessel on the inlet before the steam valve the steam pipe comes in at the top down in the centre and the steam valve is
connected  at the side near the top  there is a good sized water drain at the bottom .in operating instructions it is referred to as the separator
that's whats on the bellis and morcomb engine that i see and run.orther engines i see have similar vessels on the steam line at the engine.
i would guess that worthington engine is similar  not wonting water  to get in the engine.just mounted above the engine they would bee in the way if matainance was required  and if it was a crane it would have to be removed first.
John
Thanks John!  Sounds like you are seeing the same thing that Michael sketched earlier. Can you point me at instructions or books that mention this, or post a picture of those pages? The folks at the museum would be most interested in seeing that.
Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 04:15:32 PM »
I traded some emails with the museum this morning, passing along the information (thanks all!) and also asked about the insulation on the pipes. Yes, it was all originally covered in asbestos insulation that was removed when they turned the station into a museum. The insulation was supplied by Johns (later Johns-Manville) in the 1880s, long before they knew (or cared) about the health problems with it. The insulation on the pipes was also wrapped in wood strips, like we commonly see on cylinder lagging, which is interesting.
 :cheers: :cheers:

Offline john mills

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 10:25:09 AM »
the notes i had are just notes for running that engine  no information in books or any other reference
John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal