Help! > Specific Engine Help

Worthington pump engine question

(1/4) > >>

crueby:
Hi All,
The director at the Boston Waterworks Museum asked me this question, I drew a blank, so throwing it open to the group:

On thier compound corliss Worthington pumping engine, there is a tank like object around the main steam inklet pipe:

There is a handwheel-operated gate valve above and below this tank, the top pipe goes back to the boiler, the bottom leads into the steam inlet of the HP cylinder.

Anyone know what this is? Seems like an oil seperator/condensor would be on the outlet of the exhaust, not the inlet, so I don't think thats what it is. A pre-heater for something else? The horizontal tank behind it is the steam receiver for the pipe going to the LP cylinder to the right in the photo, in other photos it looks like there might be some small pipes between them, possible its a reheater takeoff for the receiver?
One of you should know, who will be first?!  Clock starts.... NOW!   :Lol:
Thanks for any help!
Chris

cnr6400:
I remember seeing similar equipment labeled as a "receiver" in steam textbooks. As I recall, the purpose was to reduce any shock wave of the first steam past the valve into the engine by allowing the steam to pre-expand before entering the engine. Not sure if that is the exact purpose on the pumping engine, but it could be.  :cheers:

crueby:

--- Quote from: cnr6400 on May 18, 2022, 08:54:24 PM ---I remember seeing similar equipment labeled as a "receiver" in steam textbooks. As I recall, the purpose was to reduce any shock wave of the first steam past the valve into the engine by allowing the steam to pre-expand before entering the engine. Not sure if that is the exact purpose on the pumping engine, but it could be.  :cheers:

--- End quote ---
The only 'receivers' I have seen before are between the cylinders, not before the first one. Seems odd, letting the initial steam expand would just reduce its pressure and reduce the work it could do.   :headscratch:

john mills:
is that  a water separator makes sure all is hot that the steam is dry before the engine   it would have water drains ?the bells and morcome and others have a cylinder at the steam inlet  would that not be similar.
     John

crueby:

--- Quote from: john mills on May 18, 2022, 09:46:08 PM ---is that  a water separator makes sure all is hot that the steam is dry before the engine   it would have water drains ?the bells and morcome and others have a cylinder at the steam inlet  would that not be similar.
     John

--- End quote ---
Hi John,

Do you know how a water separator would work? I'll try and search on that...

:cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version