Author Topic: DRO for Samantha Bell!  (Read 9447 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: DRO for Samantha Bell!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 12:44:11 PM »
And there is just enough vertical thickness on the cross slide to let the scale sit in the "shadow" and let me use the cross slide as a boring table...as designed.   I'll need to protect the scale from the tailstock though.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 12:50:14 PM »
Looking at the cross slide just now, it may not be so bad.    I have to step the scale off the side of the casting to get around the boss in the casting, so it should be enough room to get in there with a stubby allen wrench   ( sketch below)

Nice frosting on that cross slide

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 02:02:50 PM »
Thanks Mike.    It was a fun exercise getting it flat and parallel to the ways.    Very nice iron from Metal Lathe Accessories.   
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 05:05:45 PM »
Glad to see you getting her up dated buddy, but where’s to photos?  :stickpoke:

:cheers:
Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 04:03:49 PM »
Theyre coming Don......lots of things going on over at Steamers house...

I measured the flange for the non existent SB taper attachment, and it's (2) 3/8-16   tapped holes on a 3.5" center.     Additionally, there is a long expanse of flat vertical bed casting back there!   So I should be able to mount this with a minimum of bracket making.   I will need to replace the saddle bracket with one that can accept the T/A fixings and adapt to the brackets to the kit, but that's like one part. 

Looking at the scale, I don't see the need to add any in between supports to supplement the provided end brackets, and the bed is 54" long, so I will probably mount the scale as is without cutting it  ( I have about 36" of travel on the X AXIS)   So the mounting should be pretty easy,   I'll need some form of drill jig to get the holes in the right place I think, but leaving the scale long lets me work to the far left of the bed where I have better access. 
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 04:27:20 PM »
Remember you may need some adjustment when you come to check the scale is parallel to the bed. I did this by mounting the Z scale on an additional long flat metal backing plate; it made mounting a lot easier  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
Sounds like a solid plan Dave. I'll be following along.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »
Now the question is where is the side of the bed, with respect to the back of the saddle.     Fortune was on my side!

I was able to use the bracket that came with the kit to actually measure the space that the scale has to fit into..   With a little bit of measurement and some sketching, I came up with the following cross section sketch showing the top of the cross slide, the back of the saddle, and the available location to put the scale and the approximate profile of the bracket I need to make.   For those of you taking notes.   This is a 1951 SB Model A.  9" Workshop lathe, and I have a Metal Lathe Accessories T slotted cross slide, so make sure you take into account for the casting if you do NOT have that T slotted cross slide....

I measured the Center to Center distance for the 3/8 bolts and it's 3.50"    so I think I can just make the bracket.    Next will be some form of drill jig to mount the scale brackets and for that, I think I'll make a drill jig to bolts to the saddle of the lathe.    Stay tuned!!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »
Remember you may need some adjustment when you come to check the scale is parallel to the bed. I did this by mounting the Z scale on an additional long flat metal backing plate; it made mounting a lot easier  ;)

Jo

There's enough room to move the scale to the right by about 12-13 mm thick bar if I find I need one and not really affect the mounting...so I'll keep that in mind.....the trick here is I don't have a place to move the lathe to get to the back, so I need to do it all in place on the bench it's on now....that should be a nice trick.....
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 05:46:35 PM »
Here's the model of the drill jig that  I'll be bolting to the back of the saddle.   It will have 3 tools with 1/2" diameter shanks that locate in the bushing and are driven by a pistol drill.   A center drill,  a tap drill and a M6 or 1/4-20 tap all loctited into a piece of 1/2" ground shaft.

The bushing ls located off center so that I can reach 3.25" beyond the end of travel of the saddle either left or right by simply flipping the jig 180 for a total of 6.5" beyond the limit of travel for the bed which is in the 36" range I believe.   So I'll locate the first hole at the extreme right end of travel, and lock the saddle, drill and tap.   Then move the saddle 2.00* with the help of a bed mounted dial indicator and drill and tap a second hole..    I'll use the scale as a locator for the 3rd hole, and dial in 2" more for the 4th and last hole.    they should be in line by virtue of the fact that they were located with the saddle itself.....That's the plan anyway. 

I'll remeasure my travel first, and confirm the dimension from the mounting bolts to the proposed mounting bolt location vertically and then wip up the jig on the mill.......Im digging this plan!!!! :whoohoo:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2022, 06:01:54 PM »
Confirmed travel for the 4.5 foot bed lathe is 34".   Scale TRAVEL is 40" so I suspect I'll need to cut the scale as its at least a read head longer than that so about 43"...
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2022, 06:12:36 PM »
 :pics:

We need to show the members how easy it is to fit scales to their machines  ;)

I'll let you tell them how nice it is to use a Lathe with a DRO fitted after  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2022, 06:51:34 PM »
:pics:

We need to show the members how easy it is to fit scales to their machines  ;)

I'll let you tell them how nice it is to use a Lathe with a DRO fitted after  ::)

Jo

Well.....I am....please read my responses.....More to come.
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2022, 07:18:49 PM »
quick lexan test fixture to prove geometry of my jig.....or did I measure it all right?

3 drilled holes and we'll find out!!
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal