Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

Stevens Model Dockyard Engine

(1/5) > >>

Chipmaster:
This afternoon I was given this old vertical model steam engine to restore, could the members identify it please?

CRHC1727 (2) by Andy, on Flickr

All the engine castings are brass or bronze.
The base is cast iron.
The bore is 1.978"
Stroke = 3"
Flywheel = 8.5" diameter
Overall height = 19"
The cheese head screws holding the cylinder cover are 5/32" x 32 tpi  Whitworth form = the Meccano thread.

IWQF3603 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_4506 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_4507 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_4505 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_4497 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_4500 by Andy, on Flickr

And it's got a bad knock as can be heard in this video from my Flickr Album

IMG_4503 by Andy, on Flickr

Andy

Jasonb:
Not one I could name but the two bands on the cylinder are similar to what Stevens's Model Dockyard tended to favour as are the tee section frames and they tended to cast in non ferrous.

It does not look like it is all from one set of castings as the bottoms of the standards don't really fit the base as they overlap and also at the top they look to have been pushed outwards to make them "fit" the base but the flanges overhang the cylinder and the crosshead looks too wide

Pump is an after thought as it that Vee pully stuck right at the end of the crankshaft. bearing pedestals also look crude compared when compared with the top half of the engine so may well also indicate it has been grafted onto that bed casting at some time.

Chipmaster:
Thanks Jason, yes I reckon it’s a Bitza for the reasons you pointed out. I haven’t found evidence of Stevens cylinders as big as this one so far.
The pump casting  looks like a Stuart Turner boiler feed pump.
I can work on  this engine in between coats of paint drying on my Stuart Major.

Andy

Jasonb:
I've got a reprint of their 1919 catalogue and the cylinders with the two bands were available in 1 3/4" and 2" bores though aimed at horizontal engines. The Tee section frames intended for marine engines went 1 1/2" and 2"but used plainer cylinder castings. So possible it was made up with a mix of castings.

Alyn Foundry:
Hi Andy.
The flywheel looks familiar to me. Minus the counterbalance.

This Brass flywheel was recovered from the Uppingham school workshop and has been “ doctored “ for use as a pattern.
The date Jason has provided fits in with the era of the school’s activities.

:cheers: Graham.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version