Author Topic: My Latest (Tool) Score  (Read 2290 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
My Latest (Tool) Score
« on: May 12, 2022, 11:06:58 PM »
Saw a few posts of nice things people have been lucky enough to acquire recently - I thought it might be fun to have a brag thread. We don't have many banter threads active any more, I thought this might be good. And if not, no loss.

So the idea is to post up cool tool finds and acquisitions. Nominally used tools make the most sense, but doesn't matter, anything you've acquired that you are happy to get a hold of really. I'll start with a simple one.

A set of pin gauges. Lightly used and most in their deteriorating paper wrapping, easily removed with a spray of WD 40 and a cloth. They are import generic brand, but for $50 shipped for a complete set of .501" to .625" minus pin gauges that's a decent find. And so far they all mic out correctly.

Happy with that - I love pin gauges, they have all sorts of uses.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: My Latest (Tool) Score
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 05:18:01 AM »
Great find, Stuart!  I have inexpensive pin gauges up to 0.500" but it would be great to have some larger. Used like this is probably the only way I could justify it though.  Nice find!

Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 12:41:29 PM »
A bore gage and ring master for the 917 project.   Nice to have a single source of truth when I'm lapping the cylinders!

And another small box for the watchmakers bench and the assorted stuff that is overflowing there!

It'll need to be recessed in, or a new shelf made....but stuff needs to get organized!    Eliminate horizontal surfaces!!!!!

Some Bridgeport End Measures   ( very cheap purchase, but can be useful for set up)

and A 1-2" "tenths' mic in good shape,
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:47:20 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »
That is a very nice set of finds. I don't know, I just think it's really great to see good used tools find new homes and a new use with someone that appreciates them.

Jealous of that watchmakers cabinet! I love wooden storage chests.
Stuart

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 04:11:23 PM »
Hi all wow  a good thread I have loads of good finds to post    and I love extra slot in the micrometer box for the update for the digital spare battery ??!!!

Willy

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 05:32:58 PM »
OK, Willy, those look like great finds!  But you're going to have to explain what they are!  I can't tell what those gizmos are for!  :embarrassed:

One looks like a broken hammer...  One looks like a draw plate, but the holes are split down the center... and one seems to be some kind of punch for odd shapes?

Can you elaborate on your finds :)

Thanks Willy!
Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 06:16:52 PM »
Is the hammer looking one a mortar and pestl?
Stuart

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 07:32:03 PM »
Steamer,

That's not a typical bore gage, that's a bore mic - good to within .0002" or better, nice!  We have a couple of those here at work, they were not cheap.

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 07:47:25 PM »
Hi, everyone,

In 1991 I was in my city at a company that was closing down. It was a factory that made measuring instruments. Due to the political upheaval here in East Germany, almost all factories were closed. I noticed a large container for scrap metal there. And what was in it? Only packages with drill bits of all sizes thread drills and taps. Everything new. And everything to throw away, just because it comes from East Germany and of course it can't be good.
I was able to get a lot out of there in an unobserved look. Unfortunately, there are some drills that have to turn to the left. Probably has something to do with the automatic lathes.
But still a little treasure!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 08:33:48 PM »
Fantastic Michael - that's great you could recover those tools and make use of them!
Stuart

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 10:30:41 PM »
Steamer,

That's not a typical bore gage, that's a bore mic - good to within .0002" or better, nice!  We have a couple of those here at work, they were not cheap.

Oh I'm well aware! and at a fraction of the cost of a brand new one!.    It's in excellent shape and spot on compared to the ring gage.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 12:49:11 PM »
That was a good catch Michael   :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  The orange packet of drills looked familiar, Proxxon used to deliver the drill sets in the same packing  :)

I made a new wooden stand for the standard and short swiss files. The next collection from the workshop clear out was a selection of Garant and Frasia end mills in suitable sizes for my machines and a Beck 8mm reamer, all unused.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »
Where is the tool glote emoji?  :shrug: Nice new toys!!!

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 01:16:32 AM »
Hi Kim, The top tool is like an early version of a die stock tool , there are 5 sizes of threaded portions which may have been used to cut threads or just hold bolts/screws to work on ?? there are file marks to indicate the number for the thread .... The hammer has two concave faces and use it on the allotment to bash in square wooden posts with out damaging the faces.. I have not seen any pictures on the web for a tool like this .....The multifaceted tool has  3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,  accurately sized sides and I use it to index items to drill/file the stock for the different number of operations using a strait edge on one of the facets .....

Willy

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 05:18:07 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, Willy. Those are some pretty interesting tools you have there!

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal