Author Topic: My Latest (Tool) Score  (Read 2319 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: My Latest (Tool) Score
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 05:55:01 PM »
I just missed out on what would have been a GREAT score. There is a shop in my town called "Another Mans Treasure", it's a second hand store, with the focus on tools and such. I just saw they got a Starret blade micrometer in on Friday, and they had it up for sale at $15. Long gone by the time I called of course. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

The great thing about the store is that he prices stuff to move - so you don't get much when you take stuff in to sell to him, but similarly anything you buy is very reasonable - turnover is key for the owner I guess. But you have to be quick!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 11:37:41 PM »
Got the tool chest today.    I got it on the bay, but I paid a reasonable price for it.   Was very worried about the USPS carnage, but it was packed extremely well, and survived the journey just fine.

Now to get it installed in its forever home.....well my forever anyway!   1 shelf up over the watchmakers bench

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 11:40:28 PM »
The listing said it smelled "musty".....hmmm said I   maybe it got wet.    but it didn't look it!     So I went for it anyway.
Come to find out, it had mothballs in it at one time, and that is what the seller smelled.     I have always been told that putting mothballs in your tool chest helped to prevent rust.   I also heard that this works with camphor as well.   Anyway.    I appreciate the smell when I open the drawers.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 01:17:51 AM »
Very nice! Look forward to seeing that in due course.

I've heard that about mothballs. Good for keeping other critters away as well.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 02:39:29 AM »
One of the machinists at work gave me this today. I can’t tell you how good I feel about that. It goes way beyond that it’s a super gift. Can’t really explain it, but this gent is a really top machinist - he does some incredible things and I work very closely with him on a lot of projects. He gives me a lot of very good advice. He can be a bit surly with people but I realized as soon as I joined the company how skilled and how ingenious he is, and we hit it off quickly.

Anyway, it’s a pressure micrometer. Never even seen one before.  I guess it’s for delicate parts but I bet this will work really well with telescoping bore gauges.

Stuart

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 03:35:28 AM »
The needle gizmo is called a fiducial indicator. If you are measuring in "tenths country" ie trying to get repeatable +/-.0001" or +/- .0002" measurements, controlling measuring pressure accurately by using the indicator on a portable mike like yours, or a bench mike with a fiducial indicator, is a good start. That and a temperature controlled room at 20 deg C , stock in said room for several hr before measurement,  and very clean hands! Nice find. Be gentle with it, it is a delicate mechanism.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Baltic

• Mt Doran, Vic Australia
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »
One of the machinists at work gave me this today. I can’t tell you how good I feel about that. It goes way beyond that it’s a super gift. Can’t really explain it, but this gent is a really top machinist - he does some incredible things and I work very closely with him on a lot of projects. He gives me a lot of very good advice. He can be a bit surly with people but I realized as soon as I joined the company how skilled and how ingenious he is, and we hit it off quickly.

Anyway, it’s a pressure micrometer. Never even seen one before.  I guess it’s for delicate parts but I bet this will work really well with telescoping bore gauges.

I have never seen a "pressure mic" interesting, what a nice gift,

I scored 2 Starrett machinist Squares from a platform called "Gumtree" in Australia, a 3 inch baby, and a 6 inch square,  nearly brand new,, but Made in the UK ?? I did not know they made them there? $80 au delivered  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal