Author Topic: New to me Mill  (Read 1534 times)

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
New to me Mill
« on: May 12, 2022, 09:44:33 PM »
I finally snagged me a knee mill. Lagun FTV-1.  Going to order a VFD , and a DRO next week.

The seller inherited  it from his farther who bought it new.  He is sure there is a manual ,but hasn't found it yet.
In the mean time I would like to move the ram, but not sure how it is locked.

I've loosened the two nuts on either side of the crank handle (red arrows) and it will not move.  The ways are completely dry, So it   has not moved in many years. Some way lube will be applied.
I got on Lagun's web thinking I might find date of manufacture.  That web site sucks.
My serial # SE8511
All help appreciated.

Gary
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: New to me Mill
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 09:52:28 PM »
I don't have any help to offer but congratulations on your acquisition. Very nice.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 10:07:29 PM »
Sweeeeet!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 11:17:07 PM »
I found some manuals via Google ....
https://ozarktoolmanuals.com/machinemanual/lagun-ftv-1-ftv-2-ftv-3-vertical-milling-machine-operator-parts-manual/
https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Milling-Machine-Operator-Manual/dp/B019NI51H6
Restoring one shown here :
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lagun-ftv-1.31909/

Did get a hit on this one - the bottom looks the same - but different head :
https://aceronline.net/acergroup/manuals/manual-em_all-2014.pdf

I'm not sure the are useful - and you may have found them already .....
No matter - a nice find and congratulations  :cheers:

Per

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 11:58:57 PM »
Congratulations Gary, that looks like a nice machine. Sorry I can't help with how to unlock the ram.  --Tim

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 01:59:57 AM »
I haven't used a Lagun in 20 plus years and never moved a ram on one. But I will say get in there and lube it(Kroil is my weapon of choice) and if you have a big dead blow hammer give the ram a few whacks in both directions, then try moving it. I will say that I have broken off at least 3 or 4 handles to move the ram on Bridgeports. They often sit for many years without being moved.

I would guess that your arrows point to what should be loosened, also it looks like there are gib bolts, I'd back those off too. Actually I might back those all the way out and squirt lube in there too. Good luck!

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 02:07:17 AM »
Well, as it turns out, I did have it unlocked. Just didn't have enough leverage with only one handle. I made another handle and it moves easy now.

Admiral_dk

Not ready to buy a manual just yet, But thanks for your input.

Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 02:18:56 AM »
Gary,
I was going to attach photos from the two mills at work but now there's no need. I regularly use a Supermax mill at work and move the head around as needed. The other mill a Clausing I haven't used yet but looks similar to your mill. That looks to be a nice mill, good catch!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal