Author Topic: PM Research Dynamo  (Read 4360 times)

Offline EricB

Re: PM Research Dynamo
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 04:40:17 AM »
Here are the parts that hold the magnets in place. They are a brass eye bolt, an aluminum spacer, and a steel spring which is provided in the kit.

I made the eye bolt a couple of days ago. I made the threaded end first and cut off long enough to make the eye. I free handed a 1/4" ball using gravers and a t-rest, milled both sides, and drilled the center hole.

The pictures show how it goes together. The eye bolt secures the spacer at the top of the frame and the tops of the magnets bear against the spacer. The spring fits between the bottoms of the magnets.

For today's enjoyment I made 8 new bolts, 3-48 thread with 5/32 heads, from the 303 stainless that arrived in today's mail. I think it makes for a better appearance, and they only took 5 hours to make.

Eric

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 12:05:05 PM »
Your efford payed up - looks a lot more like the fastners that could have been used on a full size version  :ThumbsUp:

Thanks for the "inside pictures"  :)

Per

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2022, 02:32:29 PM »
Very nice work, Eric!  :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 04:33:46 PM »
Very nice - detail touches like the home made bolts and eye bolt really do a lot for the finished item, making it that much more realistic.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline EricB

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 03:03:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

Here it is finished. The pulley is suppose to be crowned like the arc of a 2" radius. I had no way to make that up so I just turned it against a file until it looked about right then polished it up.

I tested it with a 9 volt battery to make sure it would run as a motor. Then I used my lathe as the power source with a rubber band around the outside of the 3" chuck and the pulley. It works good as a generator too. I tried to get an RPM reading at 12 volts but I don't have enough hands. That will have to wait until I have it mounted to something permanent.

Eric

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2022, 11:33:25 AM »
Top result!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2022, 09:26:33 AM »
Excellent  :praise2: I will be interested in seeing it driven by your engines  :)  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline EricB

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2022, 09:58:54 PM »
Excellent  :praise2: I will be interested in seeing it driven by your engines  :)  :)  :wine1:

I have a Stuart 504 boiler on the way so that should happen soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal