Author Topic: Greetings from Devon, UK  (Read 1094 times)

Offline NickSparks

Greetings from Devon, UK
« on: May 10, 2022, 09:24:58 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm Nick. I'm new to the forum and pretty new to any kind of machining or metalwork but always been fascinated by it. Got caught out playing ebay roulette during lockdown and ended up buying a 1948 ML7. Since then I've stripped it down to learn how it works and replace various worn parts and seem to have spent a fortune on books, tooling and metal (don't tell my wife).
I recently came across an almost complete Centec 2b so got that going and started to learn the art of horizontal milling.
If my wife asks me what the machines are for, the drill press makes holes, the lathe makes round stuff and the mill makes flat stuff.

Am I the only person who seems to spend more time making bits to improve the machines and tooling than anything else?
My eldest son is currently doing an engineering apprenticeship so it's been nice working on some projects together, especially as he's a whizz with CAD.
Looking forward to learning from the forums.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Greetings from Devon, UK
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 09:44:23 PM »
Welcome Nick!  You're definitely not the only one with improving-machines-as-a-hobby-itis! Pretty soon you'll get hooked on engines too...   :cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 09:45:24 PM »
Hi Nick, welcome!

Sounds like you've got some nice machines and are making some great tooling.  I've made some tooling and its amazing how rewarding it can be to make something that you can use in making other things :)

Looking forward to seeing what things you have made and what you will be making!

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 12:43:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Nick!
Regards,
Ron

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 01:31:21 AM »

Am I the only person who seems to spend more time making bits to improve the machines and tooling than anything else?

This is very normal. There are a host of useful tools that are best made in your own shop, plus you can tailor your machines to suit you. It’s as much fun as any part of the hobby really.

Welcome - I hope you will share hour projects with us!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 06:58:42 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline NickSparks