Author Topic: Freecad  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Freecad
« on: May 04, 2022, 11:54:54 PM »
 I imported a stp file into Freecad. I would like to create some drawings & sections of this.
 I have some questions for users of this...

Why can't I see the individual parts listed in the "tree". "model history" or whatever they call it in Freecad? It has multiple files in it, but I can only see ONE file when I import it.

I accidentally shut off this "Tree", or whatever they call it, how do I turn it back on?

Intuitively, you would think there might be more options when you right click a part. How do I open a part from the ASSY.? Can you even do this?

How do you take an assembly file (from the imported STP file) & create a drawing? I read some of the help & see it's a convoluted process.

John

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
Re: Freecad
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 01:50:53 AM »
John,

I have used FreeCAD a lot, but I do not generally import STEP files. There are numerous options in the preferences for STEP import, including a choice between importing as a single entity or as components. From the top menu select Edit >> Preferences >> Import-Export >> STEP.

Converting STEP files to workable solids can be a bit complex, as you have discovered. It is best to use a very recent version, perferably a development version (0.20.xxxxx), since there has been quite a bit of new functionality added to the handling of STEP files.

Ultimately the problem remains that STEP files have no parametric history. Basically that means it is not possible to "change" something. It is possible to add, of course, but it is also possible to "defeature" the import to remove portions.

The FreeCAD forum is very active (I am a moderator), and any questions you have can be quickly answered by folks who work with STEP files.

The visibility of the Tree can be controlled by View >> Panels.

Gene

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Freecad
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 09:24:14 PM »
 Thank you very much Gene, reviewing the import settings for stp files, I deselected the "Enable STEP compound merge" & was able to see the additional parts.

I totally understand some of the "Pitfalls" of working with STP files (Non-parametric, sometimes not even editable, bad geometry..).

I just needed a solution to import some files & maybe create some drawing views until I can sort out some issues with my "Regular" (Pro-E) CAD program. I run some old HW/SW, so installing a lot of the "Free" CAD programs is a problem.

I will spend some time looking at the online help & the Freecad forum as you mentioned. I have to remember how to be "Patient"  :killcomputer:...

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction,

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal