Author Topic: Brass tube  (Read 2219 times)

Offline gadabout

Brass tube
« on: May 01, 2022, 12:07:30 PM »
Hi,
I am in need of 200mm long approx,  20mm bore x1mm wall ,piece of brass tube , it has to be that size but all the tube I have come across so far is 20mm od , any clues as to where to get some?
Thanks
Mark

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Brass tube
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 01:50:02 PM »
Not 22mm OD but 7/8" is 22.2mm and that is fairly common.

M Metals have it here:

http://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/downloads/metals%20catalogue.pdf

Page 26

Available in 16 / 18 / 20 SWG

UK source, if you're somewhere else  ....  Dunno  :headscratch:  you don't state location.

D.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 02:47:18 PM »

That means 22x1 mm is wanted.22x2 mm is common in Germany, material is MS58 CW608N CuZn38Pb2
CW614 N CuZn39Pb3

So if you drill with a 20 mm drill bit you should get what you are looking for.
22x1 is also available, but than MS63 CW508L CuZn37

I have no idea where you are living, so only a blind suggestion.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline gadabout

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 10:17:34 PM »
Hi, thanks for helping, I live in Hobart, Tasmania ,Australia! The bore needs to be 20 mm as supplied, it’s for a replacement hand oil pump on one of my vintage Indian motorcycles . The original tube measures at 20mm Id which I thought strange being an American bike. I don’t want to bore out a piece as getting the bore good enough for the pump to work properly would be difficult, especially over the 150mm or so length
Thanks
Mark

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 12:21:26 AM »
Hello Mark

The nearest tube I can find is 22.2mm OD with 16 SWG wall from a UK supplier     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284523799981?var=586100305082&hash=item423ef0a5ad:g:mKcAAOSwTw1eV6P9

You would need to slightly alter the plunger diameter and perhaps the end fittings.

This may or may not help

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline gadabout

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 01:07:49 AM »
Mr.Vixen,
Thanks, I guess being American then it is going to be 7/8 od by a gauge size . 16 gauge may be ok , I will have a look and see , think 18 or 20 might be better if I can find some.Regards
Mark

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 01:09:24 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 05:10:08 PM »
Would it be cheaper to machine the o.d. of the piston to fit into the bore of whatever brass tube is readily available?

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 08:57:59 PM »
I did an Ebay search for brass tube 22mm x 20mm and came up with a few sellers out of China:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=brass+tube+22mm+x+20mm&_sacat=0

It is more tube than you need so extra stock for some other project.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 09:08:43 PM »
Hi When's a tube a pipe  and when does a pipe become a tube .. also metric /imperial  is there a lot to choose from ??!!

Willy

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 10:35:03 PM »
The rules vary but pipe is heavy walled and meant to be threaded the OD for pipe is I believe standard as every shipyard or non US built piece of equipment used the same OD. The British practice of BSP and BSPT are on the same size pipe as NPT and German R.

Tube is of course thinner and usually soldered or rolled to make pressure joints.

Ordering this stuff on a ship was always a hassle and I have gotten a telex to clarify that NPT was the same as what they saw in the catalog.

It is still very confusing and I hate the use of gauge when which gauge standard is not specified. I wish the specs were either inch or metric but the actual dimension not simply a gauge number.

Rant Off.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 06:51:15 AM »
It's not really confusing, just care needed to understand ....Pipe is Pipe and Tube is Tube!

So history confirms, the American engineers used pipe sizing from England and simply substituted the term NPT over BSP....dimensions remained identical [apart from 5/8" pipe size nomination]

Pipe is NB [Nominal Bore] the sizing is classified by the Pipe Schedule [wall thickness] the OD of the Pipe is constant
Pipes sizing as manufactured in the US is identical to that as manufactured in the UK

The thread forms of pipe fittings is where variations occur. American designation of NPT or NPTF has a 60 degree thread form and this enables sealing on the root of the thread - this is also why the term Dry-Seal is used as no sealant or Teflon tape is required to make a joint with NPT thread forms on NB Pipe - The British BSP remains as 55 degree [Whitworth] thread form.....neither are technically interchangeable

A German Drawing may nominate eg., R 1"  for a 1" BSPT [taper thread] on 1" Pipe which just happens to have mean OD of 33.7mm, however the BSPT threads of 55 degrees dictates that pipe sealant or Teflon tape must be used as the 55 degree profile is face sealing, not the root of thread sealing

A German Drawing may nominate G 1" , which is 1" BSPP [parallel thread] so sealing of the components must be a jointing compound or Teflon tape........

So 'Pipe' is termed as Nominal Bore, but with identical outer diameters for all sizes withing the range, it is the Schedule that nominates the actual bore size 

The European convention for G threadform [edit - BSPP]  as soft sealing [o-ring] between components

Today, Tubing universally is measured by OD x the wall thickness, yes older Drawings or text may nominate any basket of complications of sizes.......  all which are  :ThumbsDown: :ROFL:  :Jester:

Derek

« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 11:19:07 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline gadabout

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 06:57:42 AM »
Thanks for all the advice! I have ordered some out of China that they say is 20mm bore and 1mm wall ,we will see!
Delivery is from anytime the week after next to mid July!!
Regards
Mark

Offline john mills

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »
the charts and taps i see   are BSPF    iso g parallel series (55 deg)  I have not seen BSPP     more common are the BSPT  the tapered is more oftern used that i see
John   

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 11:33:51 AM »
John....

Whilst you may have not seen any chart mentioning, but ISO G - Parallel Series [55 degree] = or is British Standard Pipe Parallel [BSPP 55 degree]
Again the European Hydraulic Convention for hydraulic sealing is soft sealing, hence BSPT [taper] threadform components are generally no-longer the preferred option

The F you find in BSPF indicates another confusion to the basket as F = Fine, however it is simply a word attributed without consideration to the confusion it assisted it created  :Lol: as the pitch of BSP and BSPF thread forms are identical

Derek 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 11:57:12 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal