Author Topic: New member west coast of Canada  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Cuttings

New member west coast of Canada
« on: April 27, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »
The name is Larry and I have spent most of my lifetime working as a HD mechanic. I then built a steel sailing yacht and spent five years sailing to a lot of different places around the Pacific Ocean. When I came back to Canada I kind of fell into the marine repair business for about fifteen years until I retired. I started out with a mill drill lathe machine then later bought a better mill. I am now on a waiting list for a new lathe. I have so far built a replica Henry Ford engine , a steam donkey, an Atkinson differential engine which I have yet to get running and a walking beam engine that runs beautifully on air. I am kept busy from time to time machining parts for a fellow that builds high end radio controlled tug boats and fish boats etc. I have been on the Home shop machinist sight for some time and have been watching with interest the build of a Corliss steam engine. I thought I might like to try one of those somewhere down the road and was referred to this sight for more information.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: New member west coast of Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 05:23:49 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Pictures of your engines and workshop are always appreciated  :)  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 05:26:14 PM »
Welcome! I have the book on the Atkinson Differential. It's a fascinating engine, I'm sure we'd love to see yours when you have time to share.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 01:01:14 AM »
Hello and welcome! Will be looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 05:06:44 AM »
Hi Larry,
Welcome to the forum! :)

Kim

Offline Cuttings

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 11:44:10 PM »
Welcome! I have the book on the Atkinson Differential. It's a fascinating engine, I'm sure we'd love to see yours when you have time to share.
Took a couple of pictures of the Atkinson Differential engine today. they are attached. I think the reason this one won't run on it's own yet is low compression. I think the method that Gingery describes in his book where you braise the cooling jacket and valve mountings on to the cylinder barrel creates too much distortion. My engine is spot on for ignition timing and the valves are sealing well. I fires regularly when run from an electric motor and it even heats up the coolant, but it doesn't make enough power to run on it's own. I will run it some more on the electric motor and if it doesn't improve I will probably make another cylinder barrel and see if I can do a better job to keep it from distorting.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 07:31:41 AM »
That's a nice build  :praise2:

How did you finish the liner, boring and lapping? What pistons and rings are you using?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Cuttings

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 07:29:56 PM »
Sorry for the delay, I'm still getting used to this forum.
I think  I bored and lapped the cylinder before brazing it to the cooling jacket, but I may have just bored it and then lapped after brazing I can't remember for sure.
It has aluminum pistons with cast iron rings that I bought.
If I were to do it again I think I would bore the cylinder close Then braze or silver solder it together and see if I could set it up again for finish boring and lapping.
I haven't had time to get back to it lately.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 07:37:16 PM »
I think, as you said, you need to bore and lap after brazing to remove any distortion. You may be able to reuse the current cylinder if you can find some oversize rings.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal