Supporting > Tooling & Machines

Myford lathe, Geo Thomas large cross slide dials

(1/3) > >>

PJPickard:
Has anyone here made these? I've been considering making it for years and years. I really don't like the standard friction dials, I can never manage to adjust them without moving the screw. I am also mulling the idea of a DRO for the machine...thus making this discussion moot! However the two come are very different costs!

Chipswitheverything:
  I have made one of the designs that GHT schemed out and wrote up in Model Engineer mag ( and in the workshop books too, I think ). There are a number of variants of different sophistication.  I fitted it to the robust Myford topslide that I made a few years ago, ( and wrote up on this forum ), to the design by J Radford published also in ME mag, way back.
  The dial and locking work very well, and clamps without disturbing the setting. As I was lucky to have known Geo. H. Thomas in the past, and visited his superb workshop often, I can definitely say that the dials on his own Myford lathe, made to his pattern, worked beautifully.   Dave

Charles Lamont:
I have not done the cross and top slides (yet), but I have done my two vertical slides as they had the horrid little fixed diecast dials. I modified the design a little to maximise the scale diameter while remaining clear of the slide face. They are a huge improvement. The slides do still get used occasionally, even though I now have a milling machine. Here is a bad photo:

PJPickard:
Thanks guys...I think I might make the one for the cross slide. Charles I see you even did the square knurls like Geo. mentions and showed pics of, nice looking!

Del_61:
Hi,

After struggling to use the super 7 friction set cross feed dial, I decided to dig out the article in the ME by GHT.

I proceeded to modify it as per the instructions by the "master", and other than the stressful part of machining the myford crossslide bracket - a non reversible process!, it was completed without any problems.

I also decided to buy a new feedscrew and nut as well which made the job easier.

Highly recommend the modification, and as with all GHT tooling it is well thought out and much easier to use.

There is a commercial kit available to convert but this is only for the myford ml7 as i understand it.

Regards

Derek

PS about to start building the "Gibraltar" tool post by that other giant of the ME world, the late great and also sadly missed, Tubal Cain aka T D Walshaw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version