Author Topic: Colchester Triumph 2000 - Apron Leaking Oil  (Read 2743 times)

Online Twizseven

Colchester Triumph 2000 - Apron Leaking Oil
« on: April 15, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »
I have just become owner of a Colchester Triumph 2000 lathe. The oil level in the apron was low so topped it up to the correct level. After 2 days it was down to a low level. There should be a gasket between the apron and the bottom plate. At first glance I cannot see one, only possible remnants of what was possibly a silicon gasket. I have managed to take a photo and from the look of it it does not have the original apron base. There is a perimeter of bolts and then two odd pairs of bolts/screws. From what I can see of the drawings in the manual there is not as far as I can ascertain anything to be fixed to the bottom plate. Has any one got the same model of lathe and can take a look at the apron base and see if these extra screws are present. I am wondering if that was a piece of plate that had a couple of unwanted holes and the screws were used to seal them up.

It might be worth making a new plate from 3/16" or 1/4" aluminium plate and make a proper gasket.

It would be nice to know if these extra holes perform a function prior to removing the base plate.

See picture below:

Many Thanks,
Colin

Offline samc88

Re: Colchester Triumph 2000 - Apron Leaking Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 11:40:33 PM »
I can have a look at the lathe in work on Tuesday for you, I think thats the same model of colchester

Offline d.williams

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 05:01:59 AM »
I have the same lathe and mine is also losing oil from the apron. I removed the bottom cover, cleaned the surfaces, installed a new gasket with sealant and it continues to leak. I believe that the leak probably originates from a shaft protruding through the backside of the apron with possibly a defective seal. Sure are a nice lathe, however.

Don Williams

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 07:47:26 AM »
By looks of those four screws someone has tried mounting a scale under the Apron. Four matching Allen screws would make things prettier.

Silicon Gasket goo is not standard for a lathe, it should have a paper gasket. If the oil is settling just under the height of a shaft then that is a good indication that shaft is where the leak is coming from - not a quick job. I'd put a bit in when ever I was going to use the lathe in anger but for the odd quick cut assume there was sufficient oil on the surfaces. Topping it fully up just give it more to leak out. The other option might be thicker oil to slow it down a bit but not sure on the clutch design on that one. 

Nice Lathe. Hope to see more of it  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 05:09:55 PM »
I have the plate off now.  They definitely do nothing now.  They are just in the tapped holes with no sealant or anything.  There is a very thin paper gasket but this had been put back on and then coated in silicon goo.

I was going to use some 1/16" rubber EPDM sheet as used for flat roof's to make new gasket, but having just done quick bit of research it is not compatible with oil.  I might try to find some thin cork gasket and also ensure that the 4 extra holes have sealing washers (and matching allen capheads) and a bit of silicon to seal them completely.

As far as can tell (via feel and a camera) there are no shafts/bearings lower than the oil viewing window, so as certain as can be the oil is leaking from the gasket.  The drain plug was not over tight and its sealing washer was not pretty.

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 07:17:58 PM »
How about using proper gasket card  :)  I think I have 4 different thicknesses. Not sure how expensive it is  :noidea: Mine came out of the work maintenance shop when I helped them clear it  :naughty:

Might be worth putting container under the saddle when you finish at the end of the day to catch the oil that leaks out so that you can recycle it  :-X

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 08:11:57 PM »
Jo,
I have bought some proper gasket material and will use old paper one as pattern. Also got some copper washers for the odd screw holes and will fit them bank with cap heads and nyloc nuts.   Also have obtained a new topSlide screw and nut at a Jo sort of price.   Just looking for a d1-6 backplate for my 6” burnerd Griptru Chuck.

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 09:01:29 PM »
Also have obtained a new topSlide screw and nut at a Jo sort of price. 

As I like to say: No moths were harmed during the purchase of this item  :mischief:

Jo

Offline Grateful Ted

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 01:33:43 AM »
I’m not saying this is the problem, probably not, but….
The last 20 or so years before i retired I ran an Andrychow Tug40 19x80 Polish lathe. Great lathe BTW.
I got a call from the company few months later they said they would try to fill the apron with oil and it just spills out the bottom.
I remembered the sight glass was black from age, so I had made a dipstick to show full when level was up to where the sight glass would show full. The apron runs on a constant-loss system so it uses oil.
The apron back was open by design when oil level was higher than sight glass so it just poured out.
I explained this & It solved their problem.
But probably not yours.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 03:14:28 PM »
Ted,
Its one thing to bear in mind.  I'm 99% certain it is the gasket/bolts leaking.  Just waiting for gasket material and some copper washers to turn up.  I have cleaned up the base plate, very lightly cleaned up all the fixing holes with a deburring tool and similarly with the annoying tapped holes.  Drain plug and boss threads cleaned up and new sealing washer found.  Hopefully be end of week should know the result.

Colin

Offline Grateful Ted

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 04:29:26 PM »
Colin, I’m sure you are right, I only mentioned it as the design (and the fix) was kind of odd on the Andrychow.
Is the Seven in your avatar yours?
I’ve lusted after those cars since watching The Prisoner many, many years ago.
And your name is Colin, go figure :-)
Cheers, GT

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 11:06:51 PM »
I have had my 2000 for about 15 years.  Fellow rebuilt it and put it up for sale.  i bought it and he told me about the leaking apron, he had tried several times to get it stopped but could not figure out where it was coming from.  He gave me a tray to put in the chip drawer on the far right, and 2 gal of way oil.  I just park the apron over the chip tray, empty it when it has about an inch of oil in it and fill the apron whenever I use the lathe which is not that often.

Look forward to see if yours gets sealed.  I kind of think it is leaking from a shaft or something and not the cover.

Bob

Online Twizseven

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 10:34:58 AM »
Bob,
I'll let you know how I get on.  Having taken photos as best as can and having a good feel around the inside of the apron  I cannot feel and shafts that appear to be lower than the viewing window.  Time will tell.

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
I think we now know this is a "feature" of this type of lathe.

I like the idea of the drip tray for parking the saddle over  ;)

Jo

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 03:45:05 PM »
I have one and Mine leaks from the bushing that is driven by the feed screw. There is a spot worn by the seal. It needs welding up and dressed down.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 04:41:37 PM »
Eric says there is an o-ring that causes this.

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2022, 09:30:16 PM »
Well I have certainly slowed the leak down.  Need to wait a few more days, but currently after 4 days the level is halfway between the bottom of the window and the central white indicator circle.  Prior to this it had dropped in about 1 day to level with the bottom of the window.

Whilst you clever people are reading this can I ask a further quick question.  I have a 6" Burnerd Griptru chuck I wish to remove off its L0 backplate and fit onto a d1-6 camlock backplate.  There are quite few D1-6 backplates on Ebay for 6"/7"/8" chucks but these only appear to have 3 camlock pins.  Is this an issue or should I get a D1-6 backplate with 6 pins.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal