Author Topic: Barker Rim circle saw.  (Read 1481 times)

Offline johndilsaver

• Sparta, MO USA
Barker Rim circle saw.
« on: April 09, 2022, 02:15:36 PM »
I was prompted to post this by reading the interesting Ransome Tree Feller and Crosscut Saws post about the steam powered saw.  This isn't my video, but it is my Dad using a saw that we have.  There is another version with an engine integral to the frame of the saw, I've used that version a lot. I thought this was a bit of an oddball that not everyone might have seen. The earliest versions were manufactured in the small town of Ava, MO, and are marked "Ava Saw Co".  Dad grew up there and new the folks making them, this was just post WWII. We lost Dad in 2018. Here's a YouTube link. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFcU8O4sAFs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFcU8O4sAFs</a>

I'm not sure how to post links on here it's my first try, this may not work.
JohnD
Sparta, MO
USA

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Barker Rim circle saw.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 03:57:23 PM »
Amazing machine!  I saw something similar up at the logging museum, the general reaction was 'I'm not using that!'

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »
Ingenious - but same reaction (besides curiosity) - I'm not going to use that (not particularly interested in more injuries) .... but thanks for the video link  :cheers:

Per

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 08:52:50 PM »
There were all sorts of clever arrangements till they figured out what we recognize as a standard chain saw nowadays.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 10:02:43 PM »
There were all sorts of clever arrangements till they figured out what we recognize as a standard chain saw nowadays.

And the modern standard chainsaw is dangerous enough, in untrained hands.  :agree: :agree:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal