Author Topic: my workshop.  (Read 12576 times)

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
my workshop.
« on: March 31, 2022, 01:19:02 PM »
Hi,

my small workshop is in the courtyard in the former washroom and pigsty. The room is 4 x 4 meters.
That's enough for a lathe and a milling machine. A small stove for the winter and an anvil. Since I am not a trained mechanic and have learned everything myself over the years, everything is not perfect. In the next room (5 x 4 meters) there is a drill, 2 ancient lathes and the compressor (from 1939). The lathes were going to be scrapped and I saved them.

Michael

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: my workshop.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 01:29:51 PM »
It may have been a pigsty once, but it most certainly isn't any more! That's a wonderful workspace, with some very nice machines. I like your tool organization - the magnetic strips for wrenches are great, and also your long vernier caliper mounted above the lathe has given me some ideas to mull over.

Very nice space!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 01:45:14 PM »
Congratulations on saving the old lathes and the air compressor. I like to see "historical" tools in use.

All in all a nice shop.

Thank You for posting,

ShopShoe

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 04:33:35 PM »
Very nice shop, Michael!  You have quite a collection of tools and machines.  Looks like a fun place to spend some time!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 05:15:47 PM »
An excellent mix of old and new and well laid out  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 05:33:54 PM »
yes, actually my favorite place. Very often in winter, but in summer I prefer to be in the garage at the old diesel tractor.

@stuart,

the big caliper is, as we say, from the flea market. (antique market). I buy a lot of tools from there. They're cheaper. And if you can get such a large caliper for €10, then it will come with me.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 05:39:41 PM »
The green lathe has been modernized a bit.
😉

https://youtube.com/shorts/F6wbKJXabX0?feature=share

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 06:50:56 PM by Michael S. »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 07:57:15 PM »
What diesel tractor do you have? I can't immediately think of a Magdeburg manufacturer  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 08:17:01 PM »
Hello Roger,

but about 100 km south in Nordhausen there was a tractor forge. But only in the 1950 - 1960 years.
The red one is water cooled motor and the green one is air cooled motor. There were both variants.
Type designation:
"Famulus" RS 14/36

Michael

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 11:12:59 AM »
Very nice workshop and tractors - I also like your collection of toy tractors  :ThumbsUp:

I can't see you video - have you made it public ?

Best wishes     :cheers:

Per

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 01:33:49 PM »
Old tools brought back to life . . . .  :Love:
I have three bits of tooling (rotary table, dividing head, and arbor press) which were all 70+ years old.  Each was the highest quality available at the time (head and shoulders above what's available now), and all had been tossed out for dead.  The rescue and rebuilding of those tools gave me at least as much satisfaction as any engine project I've had, and once I'm done with them they'll go on to serve another generation (or two or three) of owners.
Well done.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 03:00:21 PM »
I posted that as a short video on Youtube. I don't know why it doesn't work either. I tried it several times.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 04:37:41 PM »
Lots of really nice items items there and I like the mearest  hint of the  Gap-bed   on the old unpainted lathe and also the way that the V beds extend way past the headstock !! :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Willy

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2022, 05:03:27 PM »
One of my videos uploaded as a short video and was mostly not visible on here. I managed (I'm not quite sure how  :headscratch: ) to upload it again and get a normal YouTube link which worked on here. It still shows on my YouTube as a short but somehow got over 1400 views instead of a usual 10. It was just a few seconds of me waggling a worn excentric never the less it got 8 likes  ::)  :toilet_claw:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2022, 02:00:40 PM »

I re-recorded the Video again.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAk-BgSvcoA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAk-BgSvcoA</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal