About MEM > Introduce Yourself

kchmn from Northwestern Illinois

(1/1)

kchmn:
Hello, I just joined this group, I've been playing around with steam engines for a long time, I started out with an old Wilesco that I bought when I was a kid, still have it! I have a Stuart Turner Mill engine that was a machined kit, and have built the PM Research number 1 mill engine. I'm currently working on a Rudy Kahoupt replica Case traction engine that was featured in the Popular science magazine  years ago. I bought a partially finished model from a man on the Old engine website last Spring. I have been collecting materials to build one for many years, and when the opportunity to buy  one arose I grabbed it!.  It is coming along fairly well but giving me fits trying to figure out what the original builder was doing.  The other day I managed to drop one of the drive wheels on the floor and discovered that the spokes were only stuck in with a dot of solder to the rim. Now I need to decide whether I want to just solder them back in place, or start over and do it right by drilling holes in the rim for the spokes. I'd have to make all new spokes and try to get the old ones out of the hubs to install new ones! Probably just re-solder them for now!
     I am also trying to collect a bunch of old Saito .91 model airplane engines to steal enough parts to build a 5 cylinder radial using the Saito jugs and pistons etc. 
    All I need to do is find a way to live another 77 years so I might have time to get this stuff all done! Hoping to learn and maybe meet
 like minded people here!       

RReid:

--- Quote ---Hoping to learn and maybe meet like minded people here!
--- End quote ---
Hello kchmn, and welcome! From my experience this is a great place for both of those things.

Kim:
HI Kchmn,
Welcome to the forum!

Nice looking steam tractor you've got going there!  I made one of those a few years back - that was a fun build.  Looks like you're quite a ways along with things. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this and your other projects.

Kim

Roger B:
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version