Author Topic: The Wolf Nr 1  (Read 7911 times)

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
Re: The Wolf Nr 1
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2022, 06:18:23 PM »
Hi there,

the crankshaft bearings are cast in one piece.
They have to be divided and there comes the hole for the bearing shells. A picture is from the book "50 Jahre Maschinenfabrik R. Wolf" from 1912. There you can see how the bearings used to be processed. The bronze bearings are split and soldered to a piece of brass with tin solder. To machine it on the lathe.

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »
the crosshead slideway is also finished.
The crankshaft is made of several parts, glued and secured with bolts.
The grooves for wedges are milled.
A picture shows this work on the original.
Cozy with smoke and pipe.

Michael

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2022, 06:39:19 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Excellent - thank you for sharing your set ups and also the old pictures!

Top work as always - everything is coming along really well.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2022, 01:06:52 AM »
Morning Michael....

Amazing old engineering history with that large crankshaft [is that a fixed table & traversing head?], but also, the one that has me tossed is to what surfaces in the bearing blocks are being achieved with the gang machining on the large Planer table?

Both vertical tool post tools alignment of the Planer head appear to be for the housing mounting bolt holes.......I would have assumed these would have been drilled/bored & spot faced in a vertical mill, however it would appear that rigidity/chatter/tool edge  :zap: breakage was not an issue

Would that tool shank in the tool post we see [on our left] of the machine be a solid piece of ~~ 45mm square rough forged bar of  HSS:facepalm:

Derek
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 04:36:43 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2022, 02:04:43 PM »
I wonder if what we are seeing in that picture is the parts still being set up, and that the position of the cutting tool is just "out of the way" while things are aligned. I suppose they could be getting ready to make the top surfaces of the mounting blocks flat. Don't know really - but curious.
Stuart

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2022, 04:15:21 PM »
I think it is a planing machine and the surfaces of the screw holes are smoothed.

Most of the pictures from the anniversary commemorative publication from 1912 are very interesting. Machine tools that no longer exist today. Many parts were also machined at the same time.
I once looked up pictures of the boiler forge, crankshaft, connecting rod and assembly of the machines and testing of the machines.

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2022, 04:26:27 PM »
From 1862 to 1954 around 29,000 machines from 3 to 60 tons were built. As 1 cylinder, 2 cylinders in compound or twins with or without condensation, with or without wheels. In our museum in the city is number 2 and one of the last construction numbers from 1953.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2022, 04:50:27 PM »
Thanks so much for showing those old factory pictures, they are quite amazing. Seeing the engines is great, but the machines they made to mass produce them are incredible too!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2022, 05:06:54 PM »
Fascinating pictures! Obviously a time before safety glasses. I remember reading a 19th century training manual in which the student was advised to "squint a bit" when the chips are flying! I wish I could find that reference again.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2022, 06:51:54 PM »
amazing thread, high level of documentation, lot of different machining, not benchwork !
and your model looks very realistic, with beautiful steam fittings.
thanks to share !

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2022, 06:58:37 PM »
Fascinating pictures! Obviously a time before safety glasses. I remember reading a 19th century training manual in which the student was advised to "squint a bit" when the chips are flying! I wish I could find that reference again.

And machinists wooden toolboxes still come with a mirror. I wondered what it was for and was told "to pick chips out of your eyes".  :facepalm2:
Stuart

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2022, 10:44:24 PM »
Incredible pictures. Thank You!

That is the first lathe I have ever seen that machined three pieces at once!
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2022, 01:53:22 AM »
 :old:

Our Port Kembla steelworks machine shop still has a rotary table floor Borer with internal and external toolpost heads. I believe that in most cases eg., the OD would be machined, then re-dogged down and the ID then machined and finished?

The advantage here is not both diameters machined simultaneously, but the excellent concentricity achieved between both ID and OD

As with others, I have never seen a 3 axis horizontal Borer, nor that 3 spindle lathe, which I assume [the latter] to be a repetition [production] machine?....and that 5 spindle angular head drilling machine is also something I had not imagined  [apart from a multi head drilling machine for explosive shot blasting holes in granite]

Thanks Michael for sharing some of our past  :happyreader: ......................[maybe :facepalm: that we did not remember]

Derek
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:15:54 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2022, 02:09:55 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 I love the old pics like that.
 I've often wondered how they built machine tools before machine tools came into existence. A lot of hand work for sure.

Great build!

John

Offline Michael S.

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »
I found another video on YouTube. It is from the same period as the pictures in my book. It's a silent film with some explanation but in German.
But very interesting.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6-wz5GJkk4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6-wz5GJkk4</a>

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal