Author Topic: Long Island Indicator Repair  (Read 838 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Long Island Indicator Repair
« on: March 20, 2022, 12:09:31 AM »
Wasn't sure where to post this.

Anyway, for you folks Stateside I wanted to let you know about this little business.

http://www.longislandindicator.com/

In my various sets of tooling I have been lucky enough to acquire I had an Interapid dial indicator, but it wasn't working right. I was surfing the intertubez looking for info and happened upon the above website. They offer quite a lot of info on various brands of DTI, and sell a book with a lot of repair knowledge in, but in the end I decided I would just send my indicator to them.

I can recommend their services. No fuss at all. Fill out the form, send in your indicator, wait and it comes back as good as new. The form has a space for your credit card info - and asks if you need a quote. I just said "if it's less than $200 go ahead and do it."

My DTI came back, invoiced for $140 (standard repair) - and it really is as good as new.

So, just wanted to let you know that this little family business exists in case you need a test indicator refurbished.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:34:35 AM by propforward »
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Log Island Indicator Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 12:13:07 AM »
Sweet!   I've done some of my own repairs , and with good results...but I'll tell you.    You'll spend that and then some in time doing it yourself.    Sounds like a good deal to me!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Long Island Indicator Repair
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 12:38:10 AM »
Absolutely. I fiddled with my indicator for an hour and got nowhere. Then I learned how valuable interapids are and just sent it in.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 01:07:26 AM »
Yeah   When I buy a "tenths" indicator for $20 bucks....I don't loose sleep poking around with it.....but if t was new or near new....yeah....time to call the experts
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 02:01:35 AM »
Just another thumbs up for Long Island Indicator, good folks, good work

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 12:11:21 PM »
They are the mainstay, everybody knows of them, and they've got a great reputation so you sent it to the right place.  Problem is, add in round trip shipping, and repair is more than a good used one.  Granted I'm fortunate to be in area with lots for sale, but still.

I repair indicators (not commercially) and will say the Swiss ones, Alina, Compaq, B&S Tesa and Interapid - all part of Tesa (some of those brands were discontinued) and the other Swiss firm, Girod (did I miss any?) are in a league of their own.  They really are made like Swiss watches, literally, and are amazingly durable. 

I've got a Compaq on the bench at the moment, and it needs new ball bearings at the probe.  i'm scared to think with the parts will cost....that alone often makes them often not worth repairing :( .   Mostly what they need is cleaning so I go with the farmers kill or cure approach lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal