Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

budget Boring Head, has anyone else bought one of these.

(1/1)

geoff5269:
I saw these on Ebay uk and thought they looked good for the £47.00 many suppliers were offering and also i liked the adjustment was for the diameter you were making and not the radius so i sent for one.
And I was impressed with the quality at first but when i fitted it to my milling machine i found the Morse taper was too short and barely caught the the thread.   So I checked it against my other fittings and found it was about 5mm short.  Most of the others have about 5 turns to screw in which is only 3 thread anyway, is this normal. Also I have now noticed that the holes for the boring bars are a little off centre towards the cutting direction so will this still work, looks to me as if some errors have crept in and they are being sold off. Has anyone bought one of these.
Geoff

Trevorc:
I have one that looks the same quality as this and I have been happy to use it.
Cannot see why the offset you mention should affect its operation.
But £47 seems awfully cheap to what I think I paid.!!
Trevorc

Jasonb:
Sometimes the case with items from e-bay of unknown source. They can be from a factory turning out lower quality items or ones that have been rejected due to not being upto spec.

The off ctr holes should not make much if any difference to how the tool works. You could make a longer drawbar from a bit of threaded rod and a nut or as most of these have a common thread between body and shank just buy a new MT shank from a more reputable source, my usual go to supplier sells them separately.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Boring-Tools/Boring-Head-Arbors-15x18TPI-Thread

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version