Author Topic: MT4 to ER32 Adapter  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
MT4 to ER32 Adapter
« on: March 01, 2022, 03:08:56 AM »
I have a small 10" lathe, a Precision Matthews PM1022. I've converted it to CNC but that's not relevant for this post. It has an MT4 spindle taper which is relevant. Rather than try to graft a 5C collet chuck I decided to use an ER32 chuck. They make MT4 to ER32 adapters which should fit right into the spindle. I ordered one of these from icarbide, an ebay company. It looks just like this one but has an M12 thread on the back rather than an M16. The thread doesn't matter to me as I need to make the draw-bar. I also ordered, mainly for the mill, square and hex ER32 chucks. I figured if I'm getting the ER32 collets I might as well use them both places. Here is info on the square one. I have not tried any of these for real, or QCed them. They are from China but look nice from the outside.

I ordered these from icarbide the first week of January. The shipping was a disaster. I don't know if this is just me but I suspect their shipping department needs an overhaul. The parts started arriving the end of January, and shipping was from Irvine, CA to Arizona. Long story short, after the dust cleared, I ended up with the parts I ordered plus an extra MT4 to ER32 adapter.

Why on earth are you giving us this long winded irrelevant explanation of tooling you haven't even tried, you may ask. Well, let me tell you, I offered to send the second MT4 to ER32 adapter back to icarbide. Now can you see where this is going? icarbide just emailed me and said "nah, you can keep it". The only MT4 socket I have is on my 10" lathe so I don't need a second adapter.

Do you perhaps have a small lathe with an MT4 spindle? Or otherwise have use for an MT4 to ER32 adapter? If you do I will be glad to post it to you for postage, $9 in the US. These are currently on sale for $30 so shipping outside the US makes no sense. But if you are in the US and can use this let me know.

Now aren't you glad you read the whole thing? :-)

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: MT4 to ER32 Adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 03:18:35 AM »
I have just about every morse taper there is on various fixtures.

Except for number 4.

I’m sorry to hear of your various shipping fiascos, but glad it all worked out. I’m sure that part will help someone out - good of you to make it available.

ER collets are very nice indeed - you’ll be glad to have those.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:16:12 AM »
I have the original "Stevenson" ER 32 and 25 blocks and they are handy things to have, don't know how well the other far eastern copies compare.

Surprised you went with a taper mount ER setup as that will limit the length you can hold as long stock won't go into the spindle bore and they are not good for short work. A flange mount ER would have allowed for long work and a 5C just needs a backplate like any other chuck would and has the bonus of holding short work.

Online ozzie46

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 02:01:44 PM »
Message sent.
Ron

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 03:34:17 PM »
Surprised you went with a taper mount ER setup as that will limit the length you can hold as long stock won't go into the spindle bore and they are not good for short work. A flange mount ER would have allowed for long work and a 5C just needs a backplate like any other chuck would and has the bonus of holding short work.

I may yet revert to a flange mount ER32 on a backplate. As you say it would allow through spindle stock. Also may be possible to move the "chuck" between the lathe and mill. They are more expensive and I'd have to come up with the stock for a backplate.

A 5C chuck gives an overhang from the spindle which I'd like to avoid. However, it would be no worse than a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. Come to think of it I've not seen an emergency ER32 collet as is available for 5C. So 5C is probably the best solution but expensive, and still needs a backplate. Again I may revert to this but will give the ER32 a chance. I have a 14" lathe with, I think, an MT5 in the spindle. For that I just made a sleeve with MT5 outside and 5C inside which works great. I have that set of 5C collets but want to avoid hauling the collets back and forth.

All in all spot on comments. Thanks. You should have reminded me before I ordered the MT4-ER32. But it is still an instant collet chuck and inexpensive.
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »
That was quick. I've found a home for the extra MT4-ER32 adapter.

Thanks all.
Hugh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal