Author Topic: Cabin Fever 2022  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Cabin Fever 2022
« on: February 24, 2022, 04:01:57 AM »
Hi everyone,
Here are the long awaited photos from the show. Sorry for the long wait work has been busy as ever, I turned another year older, celebrated my sister's retirement and on top of it all got a new desktop computer and then did all the appropriate program installations. Still working out bugs on the email, it will receive but not send. My computer guy is moving in a few weeks so I'm stuck that way till he's done.
I will start with an engine that was bought in the consignment area.This was a very interesting engine. A T-head built somewhere around the turn of the 20'th century.

Since George was at my back during most of the show I would be remiss if I failed to show some of his work.

This is his Holt triple

An assortment of things, 9 inch Ford rear axle, V twin and 300 six with my table and coffee cup in the background.

and his V twin
This is a model of a Brayton Ready Motor.

A very complex motor with a flame to provide ignition and one of the cylinders if I recall properly pumps air into the cylinder for ignition.
I must give thanks to George because he helped me diagnose why my Val engine wouldn't start. The ignition disc with the magnet for the Hall sensor moved. It had spark, fuel and compression. The only thing wrong was timing. I would have eventually figured it out but George was on it instantly. Didn't expect it to go anywhere. ran great the whole weekend.
Art
P.S. more photos coming soon!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 04:05:08 AM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Cabin Fever 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »
Great pictures, Art, thanks for posting those. I like that T-head! And of course, George's work is a show of it's own!
Regards,
Ron

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 03:39:27 PM »
Thanks for posting, Art.
It was good to see you at the show.
 Scott

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 09:11:12 PM »
Art I missed that T-Head.  I would have loved to get a good look at it.  I would of bought it because it is so cool.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 03:01:43 AM »
Bob & Scott,
It was great to put a face with the name.
I have a knack of going to these shows and not getting photos of me or my stuff. Fortunately my wife came along and at least got me. I do have to point out the nut & bolt on the table. We recently sold my parents house and going through drawers of nuts and bolts I ran across this 1 3/4 X 5 bolt. You can't miss it!

To the left in this photo was this character named Art who does glass plate photography, and by jiggy don't call it a picture... at least in his hearing.

Bob I did have a few more photos of the T head 4

Here was an interesting engine. It was a Harley panhead made in China. The problem as it was explained to me was that the Hall sensor was inside the block and when it went bad you have to dissemble the crankcase to replace it.

Then there was this very unique clock.

The same guy had this wood model electric powered train like Brian Rupnow built, The name escapes me now but I'm sure someone can fill in the blank.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwU6xryJ3U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwU6xryJ3U</a>
Well that was a PITA seting up the video on you tube, but it's now sorted out and I need a break. I'll try to put up some steam stuff next.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 11:28:47 AM »
Thank you for sharing the photos and video  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 06:29:00 PM »
Some pictures to add to the thread taken on the Friday. First, the Goyan ornamental treadle lathe that sold in the auction for $28k. One of only fourteen(?) surviving and certainly the most fully accessorized in offset turning chucks and other weird options. Early open frame electric motors always attract my attention. The small gas engine won my award for most inventive repurposing of a fuel tank. Over in the boating area activity was light. Barbie seems just a tad too large for her Chris Craft. Perhaps she is an Amazon.

-Doug

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 06:30:30 PM »
One more boating pic not allowed in the previous post maximum.

-Doug

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 07:01:42 PM »
That ornamental lathe sure has some intricate add-ons. Would be fun to figure out what each does.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 02:38:29 AM »
Sorry this is taking so long but life has been getting in the way.
This is a bunch of steam engines with boilers. Some were electric powered.

Then there was this model of a deck gun, unfortunately I don't remember what it was nor have any documentation of its make.

This about wraps up what I have. I thought I had some of the pond Thursday but apparently I was mistaken.
Art

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 02:44:00 AM »
Thanks Art!

Offline LANTAIN1982

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 04:41:36 AM »
Further to the photos by Art K. on the Cabin fever 2022.
The Deck Cannon displayed closely follows an article in The Model Engineer of 1944 [Vol 9, # 2229] presented by a
Mr S.A. Walter.  The article covers a general description and a number of drawings which when scaled  can make a most
interesting model.    Involves some demanding machining and fitting.  The operating Wellin breach mechanism is a feature.
I made my model by doubling the articles drawings which gives a barrel length of of about 10 inches.  Bore size was 0.30"
I deleted the firing device in line with established firearm laws.   In the article the gun was capable  of firing 0.22" caliber projectiles.

The photos displayed indicate a very nicely made and finished project

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »
Thanks for the photos Art. It was good to get out and enjoy the commraderie of my fellow modelers. Although the halls weren't filled to capacity there was certainly a great variety of modelers and vendors present.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 02:24:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing these pictures! Very fine models. I am very hopeful of going to cabin fever next year, it will be great to see some of these models up close and personal. And maybe Art's big bolt will be there again!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal