Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine  (Read 72205 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: The Sabino Compound Engine
« Reply #930 on: June 28, 2022, 05:46:33 PM »
Lovely, lovely model. I'm going to totally rip off that approach to the cleading on the cylinders on my own engine. It looks great.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #931 on: June 28, 2022, 06:02:57 PM »

Also got the valve rods shortened, and did a test fit with them.   :facepalm2:   Turns out I should have left the length as they were - now they are too short!   :slap:   Not sure where I went wrong on them, but they are definitely too short - even with just a thread engaged top and bottom the valve bottoms out before BDC on the eccentric.   :Doh:

Been there, done that; in fact I’ll stage you one better.  I am guilty of  “I’ve cut it off three times now and it’s STILL too short”. :hammerbash:

Look’in great Chris, not long now till you need to start thinking of your next project,  >:D
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #932 on: June 28, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »

Also got the valve rods shortened, and did a test fit with them.   :facepalm2:   Turns out I should have left the length as they were - now they are too short!   :slap:   Not sure where I went wrong on them, but they are definitely too short - even with just a thread engaged top and bottom the valve bottoms out before BDC on the eccentric.   :Doh:

Been there, done that; in fact I’ll stage you one better.  I am guilty of  “I’ve cut it off three times now and it’s STILL too short”. :hammerbash:

Look’in great Chris, not long now till you need to start thinking of your next project,  >:D
Thanks Craig, don't worry, there is always a list of next projects!

I like that quote, even more than "measure once, cut till it fits!"   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #933 on: June 28, 2022, 06:22:24 PM »
Lovely, lovely model. I'm going to totally rip off that approach to the cleading on the cylinders on my own engine. It looks great.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Its worked out great, makes it easy to hold the narrow strips. The thin plywood makes it easy to form the core, they sell it for model airplane skins.

:cheers:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #934 on: June 28, 2022, 07:23:13 PM »
Its worked out great, makes it easy to hold the narrow strips. The thin plywood makes it easy to form the core, they sell it for model airplane skins.

Brilliant - gives me an excuse for a wander around the model shops. Maybe I can find something to make a base for my other engine and actually finish it properly. All the models I see on this forum that are properly presented are so much more impressive as a result of that detail.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #935 on: June 29, 2022, 01:08:40 AM »
Dog youroput doing yourself with this magnificent model. All the detail work gives it that museum quality look. Awesome Chis just awesome.. :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #936 on: June 29, 2022, 01:55:07 AM »
Dog youroput doing yourself with this magnificent model. All the detail work gives it that museum quality look. Awesome Chis just awesome.. :Love:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #937 on: June 29, 2022, 02:09:45 AM »

Brilliant - gives me an excuse for a wander around the model shops. Maybe I can find something to make a base for my other engine and actually finish it properly. All the models I see on this forum that are properly presented are so much more impressive as a result of that detail.
Almost any engine model could be enhanced with some context, at least part of the setting it would be used in. In this case the section of hull, or a motorcycle frame around a motorcycle engine, whatever. Some wonderful examples were the factory dioramas that John did. Even having something like a wheel next to a car engine, a propeller, whatever. Lots of bits like that can be found in the hobby shops.

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #938 on: June 29, 2022, 10:11:47 AM »
Hello Chris, I am very happy how beautiful the ship's steam engine turned out.
A lot of details and there are still some parts to it.
Once the machine is finished, you can stare at it for hours.

May I make you another suggestion?
Make the shaft for the propeller a little longer and build two bearings.
Just an idea from me.

Greetings Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #939 on: June 29, 2022, 01:04:09 PM »
Hi Michael, suggestions always welcome!    I had considered extending the prop shaft, but the original one had no support bearing close to the engine, it was open back to the stern post 12 or 15 feet away. Also and maybe more important I am getting limited in display space!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #940 on: June 29, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »
Started the pipe work with the simplest bit, the exhaust flange/pipe. Turned them up out of brass, the back flange has a M10 thread to go into the cylinder block. The pipe is just a stub, it connects in to other valves and condensor on the ship, I'm just leaving it short for the model.

and after some black paint, in my pictures of the original the exhaust pipes look like they are cast iron, though it may just be the layers of black paint that were on it. Either way, the color is right.

This morning I've been experimenting on the cylinder drain valves, which are small brass/bronze valves on the original. Trying out some different combinations of threads, looking to make the valve stem end screw in like I did on the throttle valve on the Holly model, but these are a lot smaller. More on that when I get it worked out - the CAD version works, but I want to see how the wall thickness works out in real metal before making up the batch of them - I will need seven of them for all the pipework.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #941 on: June 30, 2022, 01:09:34 PM »
Hi "C"  looking great and very smart with the red paint , another fine model and good to see these as historic examples of our heritage.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :)
Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #942 on: June 30, 2022, 01:44:02 PM »
Thanks Willy!

Yesterday I did a bunch of work in the shop on the cylinder drain valves, came up with something that would work but was too large, too many little parts, not happy with it. Last night had a better idea and with just a couple parts, will make one of them this morning...

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #943 on: June 30, 2022, 08:13:54 PM »
So much splendid progress  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1: It looks wonderful  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #944 on: June 30, 2022, 09:09:46 PM »
So much splendid progress  :praise2: :praise2: :wine1: It looks wonderful  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal