Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine  (Read 72227 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: The Sabino Compound Engine
« Reply #915 on: June 26, 2022, 03:53:19 PM »
Wow, Chris!  That is looking fantastic!   :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

All those little details add up to making a really stunning engine!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #916 on: June 26, 2022, 04:46:47 PM »
Wow, Chris!  That is looking fantastic!   :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

All those little details add up to making a really stunning engine!

Kim
Thanks Kim!  The original engine means so much to me, so many memories, that I can't help but try and get as much of the little things in as I can.
  :cheers:

Offline horst.b.0

« Reply #917 on: June 26, 2022, 05:30:18 PM »
The original engine means so much to me, so many memories, that I can't help but try and get as much of the little things in as I can.
That‘s the basis for a good (not just good looking) model!
I really enjoy following your progress report.
Kind regards, Horst

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #918 on: June 26, 2022, 05:35:31 PM »
She's looking really impressive  Chris  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #919 on: June 26, 2022, 07:05:39 PM »
Thanks much Jo & Horst! 

Got the rivets in to represent the wood screws into the cladding, really like how it looks. Each had its end dipped in Loctite before placing, then wiped off the squeezeout, so there is still some under the heads and on the shank. Seems to be holding, will give them a wiggle tomorrow and re-set any loose ones.

I think the next steps will be to get the valve glands re-installed and adjusted, as well as the reverse lever support. Then can install the engine block on the frame for good, hopefully, and start on preliminary valve centering and timing, at least by looking down the bores from the top. Will need to have some piping/valves/fittings made to actually hook up pressure and finalize timing. I have the drain valves and main steam valve drawn up in Fusion, ready for making those.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #920 on: June 26, 2022, 09:49:30 PM »
The weather outside turned a little rainy and very hot and humid, so back into the house late this afternoon and played in the shop some more. I got the valve rod guides installed and aligned with the rods, one of them needed the bolt holes opened up slightly so it could shift to one side and get rid of a tight spot in the movement. The guides have gaskets on the bottom, and o-rings in the glands to seal them up. With all the final screws in place, it could do with a little paint again, will spray some paint into a cup and dab with a small brush.

I pushed the valves into their lower position, with the ports at the top exposed, set the block on the frame, and ran the crankshaft around to raise the lower valve rods up next to the upper valve rods. Marked the position - looks like I need to raise the upper end more into the valve spools to get them into range. Not unexpected, the rods were left a touch long, better than too short.  Good task for tomorrow!

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #921 on: June 27, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #922 on: June 27, 2022, 03:24:31 PM »
This morning got the paint touchups done, including painting all the screws/nuts. Then time for some real fun and milestone - attaching the cylinder block to the engine frame for real! With the cladding in place, access to the mounting flanges was more limited than with the bare engine block, so that took a lot of time with a small open end wrench, turning the screws a flat at a time...

Have to paint those screws too...
Here is the engine now:

Quite a good step forward.  :whoohoo:

Also got the valve rods shortened, and did a test fit with them.   :facepalm2:   Turns out I should have left the length as they were - now they are too short!   :slap:   Not sure where I went wrong on them, but they are definitely too short - even with just a thread engaged top and bottom the valve bottoms out before BDC on the eccentric.   :Doh:
Fortunately, the valve rods are simple to make, and I have plenty of the round bar that size. So, will make up a new set (well, one to check length! ) and retry them. Good part is that the valves do line up and move when the crankshaft is turned by hand, and the screw head in the top of the valve spool makes an easy way to run the threads on the rod in and out of the lower rod, and also to grip for lifting the valve out of the block.
Going to stop there for now, time to head outside and enjoy the nice weather that has moved in.   :cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #923 on: June 27, 2022, 04:09:53 PM »
Bummer about shortening the rods too much :(  That's never any fun!  But as you said, luckily, they're fairly simple parts to remake.   :popcorn:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #924 on: June 27, 2022, 06:28:51 PM »
Only took about a half hour to remake, install, and visually center the new valve rods. Can't tell till I can apply pressure how well they are centered, but they look to be close. Also ran in the pistons, and all seems to move properly.   :cartwheel:
Lots o stuff under the cylinder block!

Here is a view overall, with the top caps set in place.

Last moving parts for the cylinder block are the tail rods, will tackle those tomorrow probably. They add a great dancing eye candy to the whole effect. There are still some brass trim plates that go over the angled gussets from the top of the frame, then will start in on the flock of valves. Two drain valves per cylinder, one drain valve underneath for the receiver spaces, main steam/throttle valve, the starting valve, and another small valve on the steam line for the bypass line. A number of connectors and pipes, some straight, some curved too. After that, can try some compressed air and get the valves timed and get the engine running. Beyond that stage, there are all the oiler fittings/lines, and getting the engine bolted down to the base (studs are all there now, but just a couple nuts so I can remove it easy for valve timing). Oh, and the exhaust pipe. And the nameplate on the side of the engine. And anything else I am forgetting at the moment!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #925 on: June 28, 2022, 01:05:02 AM »
Your valve rod experience sounds like what happens in my shop once in a while. "Jeez I cut that ^**(^^ (*& thing three times - and it's STILL too short!"  :Lol:

Just kidding, glad to hear you sorted it out quickly. If anyone comments on the re-do, you can always say "we took the mass reduction program a wee bit too far on those parts!"   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #926 on: June 28, 2022, 02:17:58 AM »
Your valve rod experience sounds like what happens in my shop once in a while. "Jeez I cut that ^**(^^ (*& thing three times - and it's STILL too short!"  :Lol:

Just kidding, glad to hear you sorted it out quickly. If anyone comments on the re-do, you can always say "we took the mass reduction program a wee bit too far on those parts!"   :cheers:
:Lol:   I'll tell them the first set was for the smaller scale copy! 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #927 on: June 28, 2022, 03:19:30 PM »
Finishing up on the pistons, with the tail rods. Simple length of round bar, drilled/tapped at each end, bottom screws onto the end of the piston rod that sticks through the piston head, top end takes the acorn finial. The finials were turned up on the lathe, with the ends threaded to match the rod ends. A little freehand turning and light smoothing with a file before cutting through the tip.

Here they are installed - that finishes up the main moving parts.

Then made up the gaskets from some fiber sheet stock. The caps were clamped to a block of wood with the gasket paper between, then the cap used as a drill guide to make the screw holes. Finished with cutting out the circles inside and out.

Here we are, looks almost like a finished engine, but there is still lots to do, piping, steam/drain valves, oilers, nameplate...

The external valves are next. Think I'll start with something simple and do the stub of the exhaust pipe for the back of the engine. I have the valves drawn up in Fusion, ready to go, though I may tweak OD's as I make the first one and see what kind of clearances there are, to keep the valve bodies small and looking scale.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #928 on: June 28, 2022, 03:43:39 PM »
The finials look great! Hopefully they will not allow a comfortable carnival ride for shop elves now!  (that's probably why no one ever fitted tail rods with miniature horses....)  :Lol: :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #929 on: June 28, 2022, 03:46:07 PM »
The finials look great! Hopefully they will not allow a comfortable carnival ride for shop elves now!  (that's probably why no one ever fitted tail rods with miniature horses....)  :Lol: :cheers:
You just invented a new steam powered Cirque Du Soliel act!   :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal