Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine  (Read 72202 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Sabino Compound Engine
« Reply #885 on: June 21, 2022, 09:00:15 PM »
What's all that brown stuff?  :Lol: Mann, that was a great looking fixture for the brass rail!  :Lol:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :cheers:
So many puns, so little time!   :Jester:

Just finished running the rest of the brown stuff through the chamfer jig, need to give them a wipe down with a scouring pad to de fuzz them. Did a test with some Maple color gunstock stain, looks a a dilute coat will give the Beech strips a nice color like the original, with a spar varnish top coat.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #886 on: June 22, 2022, 02:28:04 AM »
Puns ?? yes perhaps the perpetrators should be punished ??!!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #887 on: June 22, 2022, 02:44:14 AM »
Puns ?? yes perhaps the perpetrators should be punished ??!!

Willy
:facepalm:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #888 on: June 22, 2022, 03:02:32 PM »
Got the length figured out for the cladding boards, and cut a stack of them down to size on the table saw (one of the little MicroMark ones). Have started glueing them onto the wood backer for the LP end.

Going to work my way around the length of that backer, and then can transfer the starting position for the boards on the HP end so that there is a smooth transition. There may well be a couple of narrower ones needed on the back side where the two ends come together, but I want the front side boards all to be the same width.
After all are on and the holes for the pipes made, I'll give it a coat of the stain and then varnish. With glue-drying time, this will be a slow process.  More time to sit outside and read!   :happyreader:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #889 on: June 22, 2022, 07:23:09 PM »
After a nice lunch out with friends, the LP cladding had set up enough to remove the clamps and spring it into place on the cylinder block. Marked out where the holes for pipes are, will open them up tomorrow after the glue has fully set, using a rotary tool.

:Lol: Just noticed in the background of that photo, a clothespin with 'Sabino' on it. That was a test many many years ago of the rub-on letters used on the RC model of the ship! Wow, still have that pin!

Have gotten the location marked for the start of the strips on the HP end, and the first batch of boards are glued/clamped in place on it....

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #890 on: June 22, 2022, 07:55:19 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The cladding looks great so far Chris!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #891 on: June 22, 2022, 09:08:13 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The cladding looks great so far Chris!
Thanks CNR!  It really changes the looks of it, more when its varnished and the blocks painted too I bet.

Online tghs

« Reply #892 on: June 23, 2022, 01:26:33 PM »
sorry, had to..
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #893 on: June 23, 2022, 03:07:08 PM »
The glue was nicely cured up by this morning, so got the holes opened up for the pipes. Here are all the pieces:

and put together to test fit:

So, I think its ready for finishing. Did some more color tests on leftover pieces of the cladding strips, and decided not to use the stain, just the varnish, which gives it enough color by itself. So, will start coating the wood pieces, and can start getting the cylinder blocks assembled and painted. Or painted then assembled. Hmmm...  The joint between the two blocks and between them and the base plate will get a thin layer of gasket maker goop from a tube, goes on nice and thin and is still removeable if need be, and does not require as close a spacing of screws as a sheet gasket typically does. The cylinder head caps will be sheet gaskets.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #894 on: June 23, 2022, 03:27:22 PM »
What an amazing journey it has been to get from those two chunks of material to this very detailed and intricate piece. Bravo!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #895 on: June 23, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »
Beautiful work, Chris!  :popcorn:

Looking forward to seeing it with the varnish.  That will bring out the contrasting beauty of the wood even more!

Kim

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #896 on: June 23, 2022, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi Chris, I have to say very well done with the wood planking. 👍
Do you now use a lacquer paint or a wood oil? I find the oil for wood quite good. Both varieties darken naturally.

Greetings Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #897 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:16 PM »
Thanks much guys!

Michael, I experimented with stains and clear finishes, settled on a couple coats of spar varnish, which gives a nice oil look and a light gloss. Same stuff I use on my boats. The wood is Beech, same as the original engine, and has a nice color to start. I've made a lot of furniture, and have used a linseed oil and turpentine coat under varnish, that gives a great color on woods like mahogany and cherry.

:cheers:

Offline kvom

« Reply #898 on: June 24, 2022, 02:14:17 PM »
sorry, had to..

If buns are outlawed ...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #899 on: June 24, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »
sorry, had to..

If buns are outlawed ...
Buns? Outlawing them would leave no place to sit!   :lolb:   Machinists should have buns of steel!   :ROFL:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal