Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine  (Read 72230 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Sabino Compound Engine
« Reply #720 on: May 22, 2022, 07:32:11 PM »
After some consultations with Elfbert at the chalkboard, playing with the shapes and how to hold the cylinder blocks, the decision was made to face the bottom side of the blocks and bolt them to faceplates with spacers underneath, with the cylinder centered on the faceplate. That will allow for turning/boring the piston holes through without hitting the faceplates, as well as drilling the hole patterns for the top covers and milling the radius on the ends. With the faceplate on the vertical rotary table, the angled sides and flanges can also be milled in, all with the one setup.
So, next step was to rough out the 3-1/2" diameter lengths of 1144 for the two cylinder blocks on the bandsaw. Took about 5 minutes per cut on the HP (shorter) block, and longer on the LP block.

Took a while, but got both blocks roughed out to roughly square:

Here is the LP block set up on top of the cylinder base plate - remember that the way the Sabino engine was made, each cylinder was made in its own block, with flanges around the perimeter of the joint to bolt them together.

Next step will be to mill of the bottom surface of each nice and flat, and get them bolted to the faceplates.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #721 on: May 22, 2022, 10:52:04 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You are well on the way to finding Sabino cylinders inside that round bar!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #722 on: May 22, 2022, 11:17:57 PM »
Nice looking blocks there, Chris!  Were you able to just saw them accurate enough to start with? Or are you going to have to square them up on the mill?  That's certainly what I'd have to do!  No way I could get them straight or flat enough right off the bandsaw.

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #723 on: May 23, 2022, 12:23:27 AM »

You are well on the way to finding Sabino cylinders inside that round bar!
They are in there somewhere, just need to chip away all the extra swarf!!

Nice looking blocks there, Chris!  Were you able to just saw them accurate enough to start with? Or are you going to have to square them up on the mill?  That's certainly what I'd have to do!  No way I could get them straight or flat enough right off the bandsaw.

Kim
The bandsaw isn't very precise, so I left the blocks a bit oversized, need to flatten one side to start with, will mill off the bottom surface and get them mounted on faceplates  the opposite side can then be milled or turned to get the hieght dimensioned. Thee side that is joined to the other block needs the be milled square to the top and bottom. The remaining three sides are all angled fore and aft, with the outer ends rounded, plus set in to leave a flange around the top, plus also the bolt flanges sides and top.  LOTS of shaping, then boring the cylinders and the valve holes, as well as all the passages and receiver spaces. I see lots of swarf in my future, these blocks will get a whole (hole?) lot lighter.

:cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #724 on: May 23, 2022, 04:45:03 AM »
OK, that makes a lot of sense.  I'll stay tuned for the swarf party!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #725 on: May 23, 2022, 04:39:18 PM »
This morning I turned the biggest shop elf, Elfnold Swarfenmaker, loose on the mill to start squaring up the cylinder blocks. Interesting how the band saw blade will oscillate in the cut - couple places where I had to take another few thou off since it had low spots in the center like this one

After a lot of cranking, Elfnold and I had the HP cylinder block all squared up. Took some measuring to find which two opposite faces were the most parallel to start with to get the block to hold best in the vise, then worked from there to get all the sides trued and square. I am using the bottom face and the middle face (the one in the joint with the other block) as the reference ones. For the ends, a square was used to set the block vertical in the left/right tilt axis. Here is the HP block all ready for the next steps:

The dimensions are still oversize, I want it on the holding fixture before taking anything down to final size. Next will be to take the LP block down the same way, then will get them bolted up to the faceplates.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #726 on: May 24, 2022, 05:26:07 PM »
Both blocks are squared up, ready to mount on faceplates

Got some scrap mounted on two faceplates, with holes bored in the center to let the boring tool come through the cylinder blocks without hitting the faceplates

Next step is lay out and drill mounting holes in the cylinder blocks to bolt them to the faceplates. Need to pick places where there is solid material in the finished blocks so they dont interfere with any passages later on. These holes will be covered by the bottom plate already on the model, and will be used to bolt the blocks to that plate later on...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #727 on: May 24, 2022, 09:29:42 PM »
Okay, after a bunch of measuring, layout, centering of parts, double-checking, and taking breaks, the HP cylinder block blank is mounted to the faceplate, where it will stay till all the shaping on it is done. Well, most of the shaping, it will have to move to bore for the valve, but all the other shaping.
I laid out the outlines of the finished block on the bottom face, and measured out the locations for five screws to hold the faceplate. The rotary table was centered up on the mill, and the table offset to the start of the hole pattern, and the holes in the faceplate drilled. Then laid out the corresponding holes on the aluminum spacer block and the cylinder block, and drilled matching patterns there. The holes in the ali plate to go into the cylinder block were countersunk to put the screw heads below the surface. Here is the ali (aloominum, aluominumm... thats a hard word to type quickly!) block screwed to the cylinder block:

As you can see, that faceplate has been drilled for lots of other parts! Finally outlined the current holes in pen to speed up figuring out which way it faced and which holes to use.   :insane:   So, here is the faceplate bolted down to the ali block:

added some layout lines

and put it on the lathe with riser blocks in to starter drill a pip to use as reference for the center of the cylinder to lay out lines on the top.

As expected, the block is WAY out of balance for spinning on the lathe - when time comes to bore the cylinder hole I'll need to strap on some counterweights to keep the house from dancing down the street! Shaping will start on the outside, which will reduce the total weight. First though, I want to get the LP block mounted to its faceplate - good task for tomorrow.
Chris

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #728 on: May 25, 2022, 01:16:14 AM »

Thought I heard WUMPA WUMPA WUMPA all the way here, earlier today....musta been when you were test turning the block!  :Lol:

Years ago I worked with a great toolmaker whose name was Muhammad Sanhas. His favourite gag at his bench was a plastic tote for his aluminum scrap. To unsuspecting visitors he'd pull out the tote and say "know what that is?" they'd shake their heads - he'd say "It's Muhammad's Ali!" and laugh like a nut job. It was just his thing to do.  :shrug: :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #729 on: May 25, 2022, 01:19:39 AM »

Thought I heard WUMPA WUMPA WUMPA all the way here, earlier today....musta been when you were test turning the block!  :Lol:

Years ago I worked with a great toolmaker whose name was Muhammad Sanhas. His favourite gag at his bench was a plastic tote for his aluminum scrap. To unsuspecting visitors he'd pull out the tote and say "know what that is?" they'd shake their heads - he'd say "It's Muhammad's Ali!" and laugh like a nut job. It was just his thing to do.  :shrug: :Lol:
:Lol:   so, did the guys with the big net ever catch him?   :Jester:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #730 on: May 25, 2022, 01:44:05 AM »
Lot of work in those blocks so far - and there's going to be a LOT more before they are done.  Looking good Chris!

Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #731 on: May 25, 2022, 02:54:10 AM »
I really like the idea of the aluminum faceplate that you drill and modify as you need it. A slick trick.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #732 on: May 25, 2022, 03:57:38 AM »
Thanks guys!

These faceplates are steel, unhardened so they are easy to drill and tap as needed. They are made for wood turning lathes, and are available with a number of hub threads. Very handy! And cheap enough to get several and toss when they get too perforated. I added the spacers to keep the boring bar from hitting the plate when going through the part, learned that after breaking my favorite boring bar when it hit bottom!

Offline Minh Thanh

« Reply #733 on: May 25, 2022, 05:30:51 AM »
Lots of awesome steam engine projects here, including this one
  You  guys are masters of the steam engine
  Thanks for sharing.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #734 on: May 25, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »
Chris - re the guy with the big net - believe me they were too busy with some real loons at that firm to bother with Muhammad. He just had that one quirk - there were plenty of managers in the office that were all the way around the bend! :insane: :zap:

Re the well used faceplates - many years from now when there is no longer room for any new holes in them, are you planning to cut them into wedges and sell them as sculpture to museums?  The title " post industrial Swiss cheese 1 (from the sculptor's ferrous interval)" comes to mind. Could be worth millions! :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal